What's new

Gin Recommendations

I only drink Gin occasionally and only in Gin and Tonic. My definition of good gin is one with a pronounced taste of juniper berries but this is after years of not drinking any gin and the ol' memory may be fooling me.

I have fond memories of some great summer drinks, but am really not totally satisfied with Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, or Beefeater.

Does anyone have any other recommendations. This need not be the high end stuff, I just want to find something that matches the juniper flavor of my memory and trust me -- in those days I was not drinking high end!

Before anyone calls for R-James - remember he "fel out of (no) chaoir" drinking gin, so he's possibly a quantity man rather than quality :lol:

I only drink Gin occasionally and only in Gin and Tonic. My definition of good gin is one with a pronounced taste of juniper berries but this is after years of not drinking any gin and the ol' memory may be fooling me.

I have fond memories of some great summer drinks, but am really not totally satisfied with Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, or Beefeater.

Does anyone have any other recommendations. This need not be the high end stuff, I just want to find something that matches the juniper flavor of my memory and trust me -- in those days I was not drinking high end!

I think L'Occitane CADE has juniper berries. :biggrin:

Sorry, but on the rare occasions I drink gin, I go for Bombay Sapphire, so I can't be of any real help to you. I do hope you find what you are looking for.

Enjoy!

+1 on the Tanqueray Ten. like regular Tanqueray, only more so, at least to me. Actually I prefer regular Tanqueray, over most every other gin I have tried.

Lots of boutique gins around these days. I am sure someone must be making exactly what you are looking for.

If you're not satisfied with Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, or Beefeater, I'm not sure which other distillers might meet your needs. I do have a soft spot for Gilbey's, as when I was in college (i.e. poor) and wanted a G&T, it was a good compromise--cheap and tasty.

Hendricks is fun but it is pretty certainly not the "something that matches the juniper flavor of my memory" that the OP requested, not with that wacky cucumber flavor.

Try these two.

"South" - New Zealand
"Lark Pepperberry" - Tasmania, Australia If either is neat, the Lark gets the nod. Unique :thumbup:

Top Bottom