What's new

Seiko Orange monster ?

Recently acquired a Seiko Orange Monster, great watch , I love the look and heft. Problem is though the day and date is driving me nuts, do you have to set it at midnight or something as the day or date seems to change before it should . Someone please tell me what I need to do.

To set the date and time, you need to set the date first and stop one day before the current day. So for instance, today is Friday, I would set the date to Thursday, then start to adjust the time. You roll the time forward until the date turns Friday - you are now past midnight and in the AMs. Continue to move the time forward to the current time. The watch is now set and should be keep time and date perfectly as long as you wear it regularly (or use a watch winder).

This might be too obvious, but make sure that you correctly set the time for AM/PM. To make sure that your time is set correctly, when you turn the hands past 12:00, the day and date will advance if it's passing midnight, they won't if it's passing noon. Did I answer your question dumbly?

Last edited:
Also, you'll have to re-adjust the date every other month because the watch doesn't know which months have 30 vs. 31 days and which month you're in.

This is an automatic mechanical movement right? They'll usually start to change a few hours before midnight. The Rolex GMT is a notable exception - it flips right at midnight.

Dennis,
Used your method, makes perfect sense too. Guess I've worn digital for way to long to think mechanically when it comes to watches.

I've heard and practiced NOT adjusting the watch from ~ midnight to 4 am.
The Seiko movement starts it's journey to flipping the day/date during these times and you can harm the mechanism if you mess with the settings at these times.

I do love the MONSTERS!
All sorts of strap/bracelet choices depending on your mood :)
proxy.php

proxy.php

Tom

On my Seiko with the 7S26A movement, the date changes at midnight, but the day takes until 3 AM as it goes from one day through the Spanish and to the next day.

This might be too obvious, but make sure that you correctly set the time for AM/PM. To make sure that your time is set correctly, when you turn the hands past 12:00, the day and date will advance if it's passing midnight, they won't if it's passing noon. Did I answer your question dumbly?

It's what I would have answered with.

you shouldnt adjust any mechanical watch between 11pm and 3am becuase the date change mechanism is in movement,

i have a seiko 5 with a 7S36B (same movement but with an extra bridge with 2 jewels),
i just move it forward untill the day changes, and then set it, knowing im starting from 12:00am,

I've heard and practiced NOT adjusting the watch from ~ midnight to 4 am.
The Seiko movement starts it's journey to flipping the day/date during these times and you can harm the mechanism if you mess with the settings at these times.

I do love the MONSTERS!
All sorts of strap/bracelet choices depending on your mood :)

proxy.php

Tom

Very nice, I love my Orange Monster as well.
Where did you get that strap? Can you tell me more about it?

There are some date only watches that change abruptly at midnight but many change slowly either a few minutes before or after. if there is a day-date there are more gears involved and they take time to do the changeover especially where more than one language is involved. I'm not aware of any multi language day-date that does the changeover all at one whether quartz or mechanical.

Very nice, I love my Orange Monster as well.
Where did you get that strap? Can you tell me more about it?

Shawn, I'll have to think on it...where I got it.
It is classy and inexpensive. It eas my standard edc strap for a loooong time.

Let's see
Tom

To set the date and time, you need to set the date first and stop one day before the current day. So for instance, today is Friday, I would set the date to Thursday, then start to adjust the time. You roll the time forward until the date turns Friday - you are now past midnight and in the AMs. Continue to move the time forward to the current time. The watch is now set and should be keep time and date perfectly as long as you wear it regularly (or use a watch winder).

These guys got you covered. I just wanted to comment that I love the Orange Monster! Very cool watch!

Top Bottom