What's new

Isn't a cream or a soap but a POWDER....

MAGIC SHAVING POWDER
I visited my local supermarket today and found this....after some googling i found out that its available in the states i.e. Walgreens Anyone ever tried it? A shaving powder...directions on the can said two tea spoons with X amount of water...

proxy.php

There was also this one with Aloe and vitamin E
http://media.photobucket.com/image/magic shave powder/bluedog_char/MagicShave3.jpg

I'm guessng you found it at a Safeway? The price tags look familiar.

If I'm not mistaken that type of product is typicaly for african-american men who have difficulty, due to sensitive skin, ingrown hairs, etc, shaving with a traditional cream and razor. I could be way off base, but I picked up a can of similar stuff once and read the instructions. You mix up the paste, spread it on and scrape it off with a spatula or something similar.

Again, I could be way off base on this one.

EDIT: You can read the can in the above photo and it says it's for balck men. Is it like Nair for your face??

ive never seen it but i should imagine once mixed it would be like imac or veet cos it says removes beard without razor on one of the red ones and they all have depilatory on them.mainly for black men to stop razor irritation.

I'm guessng you found it at a Safeway? The price tags look familiar.

If I'm not mistaken that type of product is typicaly for african-american men who have difficulty, due to sensitive skin, ingrown hairs, etc, shaving with a traditional cream and razor. I could be way off base, but I picked up a can of similar stuff once and read the instructions. You mix up the paste, spread it on and scrape it off with a spatula or something similar.

Again, I could be way off base on this one.

EDIT: You can read the can in the above photo and it says it's for balck men. Is it like Nair for your face??

didn't take those pics i actually live in the caribbean most of the year... did'nt know if you guys have seen or tried it? i'm guess from the other responses its not a lathering type of shave cream

MAGIC SHAVING POWDER
I visited my local supermarket today and found this....after some googling i found out that its available in the states i.e. Walgreens Anyone ever tried it? A shaving powder...directions on the can said two tea spoons with X amount of water...

proxy.php

There was also this one with Aloe and vitamin E
http://media.photobucket.com/image/magic%20shave powder/bluedog_char/MagicShave3.jpg

Looks like a depilotory cream--essentially Nair for men. You use this in lieu of shaving, not in aid of it.

Unless I'm wrong, which is usually the case.

Edited to add: this is why I should read the thread before posting

Odd that they would call it shaving powder.

Calling it depilatory sounds a bit poncey maybe? (Or maybe people might get confused with suppositories? :eek2:)

I'd stay away from this stuff. And yes, it is like Nair for the face. It even smells like it.

Its Agent Orange for your face - just say no!

Agreed

didn't take those pics i actually live in the caribbean most of the year... did'nt know if you guys have seen or tried it? i'm guess from the other responses its not a lathering type of shave cream

Only if you're into an acid fizz on your face with a strong sulphurous overtone in the "scent"

I'm picturing someone trying to whip this into a lather, and their nice pricey brush dissolving. Very sad, indeed.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Unless I'm wrong, which is usually the case.

You're not...

Only if you're into an acid fizz on your face with a strong sulphurous overtone in the "scent"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You're not...

Close there Septic, it's actually a basic solution when mixed up. Lotsa yummy hydroxides floating around, not acids. (the clue is the smell and the slipperiness it leaves behind if not washed off throughly.)

Last edited:
Burn from acid, burn from alkali - it's still a burn :lol:

Anyway - anyone put concentrated sodium hydroxide in an aluminium pan?... that's a fun one to watch (at someone else's house) :biggrin:

I had an uncle that used this stuff. When applied, it looks just like shaving cream. Smells just like nair, only it's much stronger. You leave it on your face for a while, and scrape the hairs away. If you do it right, it sort of melts the hair a little way under the skin, so you're completely without any sort of stubble, and you'll stay that way for a couple days, so you might get away only using it twice a week. (YMMV)

I'd guess it's hell for ingrown hairs.

It's also highly irritating for some people. My father told me he tried it once--or maybe I should say half a time. He mostly complained about how bad it smelled, but also a little about how it hurt his whole face. He couldn't even leave it on long enough to finish. His face hurt for days. My uncle was just the opposite--he was irritated by a blade, but was fine with the magic powder. I do remember my uncle saying something about how it irritated him a little keeping it on long enough, but the esxtra time meant not having to do it one more time every week.

Anyway, that's how I remember it as a kid way back when polyester bell bottoms were in style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom