What's new

Nickel Silver in UK

Im trying to locate Nickel Silver washers, rods and tubes for repairing scales. I have to say here in UK they are very hard to find. Can any of the coleagues share they tips where to look?

I have found the washers (bead caps) in sterling silver here......
http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/SterlingSilverFindings/SterlingSilverBeadGrommets/default.aspx
The sterling silver 1.5mm(soft) wire makes great pins that fit the bead caps.

You need to peen both ends of the wire, but the final job is perfect. You need to cut the wire with cutters and then (and its not optional) flatten the top with a file. Once you have one end peened and holding, the rest is common sense.
If you feel nervous, wrap some sellotape around the scales to hold it all together and it will protect the scales a little. Because the silver is a lot harder than copper or brass or nickel silver, you need to tap a little harder when peening or for longer than you may think.

Practice first with a couple of bits of wooden cut offs.

Have fun.

You need to drill a 2mm hole in the handles. As for washers, if you do a search for brass 14BA size and look at modelling supplies, you may have some success. I found the 10BA size to be a little big.

Thank you for your tip. i was also lucky today to get possible direction to a company called Eileens Emporium for Nickel silver and Brass. Will try them tomorrow as today it was too late to do anything.

Tried to find some but with not much a joy. Aparently because of the law which prohibits you from carying any blade longer than 1" or something like it. At present it is a criminal ofence with possible jail. Yesterday I have tried to bid on W&B razor and as registered in the UK this was not allowed (something to do with strange warding in the sellers advert which asumed that the item was a weapon). Aren't you lucky behind the pond?

Ah ,the do gooder society ,don`t you feel much safer ?,
We have stupid laws exactly the same ,I just choose to ignor them

Kind regards Peter

You mean crooks are at large and coppers concentrate on criminaly prosecuting drivers and those who physicaly defend themselves and their property? If yes then you are right.

Top Bottom