What's new

Comprehensive guide to building superlative lather!

Comprehensive Guide to achieving delightfully hot, meringue like lather.

Preface –
Please do not take anything in the following pictorial guide to be “set in stone.” The beauty of wet shaving is having fun, and keeping things enjoyable. If you choose to use this method of generating lather… please make sure you enjoy doing it! Wet shaving is about making a mundane daily chore, something fun, and enjoyable. When wet shaving is turned into a scientific method, it becomes drab, and mundane. Ok, enough of my jabbering, here goes…

Section 1 – Keep it hot!
The most important factor in successful lather is keeping it hot! Cold lather is like a warm popsicle… just does not work! I personally use a Rival water boiler I purchased at Target. It ran me somewhere around $10, and has been one of the most useful wet shaving tools I have bought. It takes around a minute or so to get the water to a rolling boil…. Defiantely faster and more convenient than a microwave, especially since you can turn the heat down whilst shaving and have nice hot water on hand at any time if you need a quick hot recharge!
Here are some pictures of the boiler in action
P1010048.JPG

As you can see it immediately kicks in action and you can see little bubbles start to form at the bottom of the water near the heat element.

P1010049.JPG

After 30 seconds you can see the water begins to get cloudy as the temp rapidly rises
P1010050.JPG

At 1 min, you have boiling water at your disposal.
P1010051.JPG

Once you have got boiling water, it is important to keep as much hot water as possible on the badger hair right up until you are ready to begin building lather. To do this, I insert the dry brush into a coffee mug then pour water into the mug until the hot water reaches the top of the bristles. I let it sit for about 30 seconds to a minute to warm up the brush and mug, then I dump the water out of the mug, and then repeat the process. This is important, as the first time the hot water is poured into the mug, a good portion of the heat is lost heating up the cold mug, hence the actual water temp inside the mug is not quite high enough for our intended purpose.
P1010052.JPG

I then pour some of the hot water into the shaving bowl I aim to produce lather in, again, in order to keep it hot! It is surprising how much better of a lather is generated in a hot bowl VS a cold/room temp bowl or mug.
P1010053.JPG

As the brush and bowl continue their heat bath, I use some of the remaining hot water to soak a towel and place the towel on my face whist I contemplate which cream I am going to choose. On this particular day I decided to go with a tub of Taylors Eton College.
P1010054.JPG

At this point, I dump the water from the bowl and continue with section 2…
P1010055.JPG

Section 2 – Keep it wet!
Now, the business portion of the lathering process. I grab my mug and pull the drenched, molten lava hot brush out of the mug and give it 2-3 good shakes into the sink to get the excess water out of the brush.
P1010056.JPG

P1010057.JPG

P1010058.JPG

When finished shaking, there should be no dripping from the brush and it should not seem TOO burdened with water. This process is VERY forgiving in that you cannot shake TOO much water out of the brush, as you always have a rival water boiler full of hot water ready to replenish needed water at any point in the actual lathering process. Water ratios of cream to water are incredibly difficult to master, so I bypass it.
P1010059.JPG

I then take the hot brush and place it in the tub of cream and lightly push down and twist my brush once to load it with cream. Please note in this picture I am using a Vulfix super badger brush, so the bristles are very soft. You can see how much they are flexed… unless you have a soft reference, do not use this as a reference, as with a stiffer brush, with that much flex you will have twisted out way too much shave cream.
P1010060.JPG

P1010061.JPG

Please note that there is NO water left in the cream, even though the wet brush was inserted into the cream. When using my method, with several good shakes to rid the brush of access water, and the quick twist method of getting cream out of the tub, no access water is left in the cream. Sorry for spending so much time on this subject, but many gents have had problems in this area, so please take note of the lack of water.
P1010062.JPG

P1010064.JPG

The quick twist loaded my brush with the optimal amount of cream. I tend to use much less cream when using this method, than when scooping it out with my finger, or squeezing it out of a tube. It is much less wasteful, and will still give you optimal lather!
P1010063.JPG

Now it is time to start the “swirl” process.
P1010065.JPG

Here is the brush after one clockwise swirl
P1010066.JPG

Two clockwise swirls
P1010067.JPG

Third clockwise swirl
P1010068.JPG

Fourth
P1010069.JPG

Tenth
P1010070.JPG

Twentieth
P1010071.JPG

At this point I decide I am not getting a prolific enough amount of lather. Notice above how the lather looks chalky and a bit dry? Look in the bowl, it is not soupy at ALL (not that you want it soupy) but it is quite clear there is not enough water in the brush and bowl to build the “optimal” lather… but hey, with my method, this is no big deal, just a splash of hot water from the rival water boiler into the bowl….

The splash of water added
P1010072.JPG

Now here is a picture after another 10 or so clockwise swirls of varying pressure…. NOW we are getting somewhere!
P1010073.JPG

After about another 10-15 swirls with a “pump” or two (pushing the brush downward into the bowl to squash the bristles out and force the cream upwards into the hair of the brush) some seriously dense, hydrated, lubricated, meringue like lather.
P1010074.JPG

Take note of the “peaks” in the bowl and how they support themselves. The lather is so dense and thick that it is able to easily support its own weight.
P1010077.JPG

Quanto Bella!
P1010076.JPG

P1010078.JPG

P1010079.JPG

P1010080.JPG

Notice how DEEP the thick lather penetrates the brush! You will occasionally see pics of guys generating lather, always look at how deep and loaded the brush is, not just what is on ones hand. There are a good 8-9 passes in that sucker EASY, and I am using less cream than those who use a kidney bean sized portion…
P1010083.JPG

One swipe across my hand (this is not to show a further build of lather, this is to show what ones face would look like after X amount of swipes)
P1010084.JPG

10 Swipes (Again note the amount of lather still in the brush)
P1010085.JPG

P1010086.JPG

P1010087.JPG

Final notes-
When lathering on your face, with circular motions etc, you will get a MUCH better result than me painting swipes of cream on my hand. If desired, you should be able to generate immense lofty gobs of lather on your face than will put shame to anything from a can.
This process should work with any cream and any brush. Since you start with less water, it is much easier, as it is very difficult to make to “wet” of a mixture. It is easy to add water from the boiler at anytime, where as with other methods, it is messy and a pain to add more cream in the middle of lathering.
As always if anyone has any questions or would like further clarification, feel free to speak up!

I know this is an old post, but I have a question. Is there water in the bowl when you use the brush to create a lather? I know you warmed the bowl, but then i thought it was emptied. The pictures make it look like there is a bunch of water in the bowl.

jbasl said:
I know this is an old post, but I have a question. Is there water in the bowl when you use the brush to create a lather? I know you warmed the bowl, but then i thought it was emptied. The pictures make it look like there is a bunch of water in the bowl.

I usually leave about a teaspoon of water in my bowl.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:

Randy

Me too. actually when I empty the bowl there seems to be just the right amount left to gice me a superb lather.

rtaylor61 said:

I don't... I dump all of the water out of the bowl... I don't dry it or anything, so it remains wet, but I doubt that there is a teaspoon in there. I then add a little water (a few drops at a time) as necessary as I whip up my lather... I like this approach b/c I find it makes it easier to change from cream to cream and get the cream:water ratio correct no matter what cream I use.

NMMB said:
I don't... I dump all of the water out of the bowl... I don't dry it or anything, so it remains wet, but I doubt that there is a teaspoon in there. I then add a little water (a few drops at a time) as necessary as I whip up my lather... I like this approach b/c I find it makes it easier to change from cream to cream and get the cream:water ratio correct no matter what cream I use.
Ditto here and for the same reason. Also, I like to see what the minimum and maximum water holding capacity is of a cream. I think a lot of times, gents fail to fully enjoy what a cream is capable of because they are shy with the water.

Is it also important to use a bowl rather than a mug because it is wider than it is tall? Does that make any difference at all to use a bowl vs a mug.

It does for me--I just seem to need the room in the bowl in order to swirl properly. The mug doesn't allow enough space to move the lather and water around with enough speed to create rich peaks of meringue.

mrob said:
It does for me--I just seem to need the room in the bowl in order to swirl properly. The mug doesn't allow enough space to move the lather and water around with enough speed to create rich peaks of meringue.
I agree with Mitch... I'm on the road right now and am using a small bowl (9cm across the top, I think) .... and I haven't been able to whip up as much lather in the small bowl as I would in the larger bowl. It doens't really matter how much cream I use (as long as it is close to a "normal" amount) I just can't get as much of that beautiful lather than we all love. Now, I still get enough for a decent shave in the smaller bowl... and it is good lather... but it just doesn't look right, if you know what I mean. Simply put, I miss my big bowl.

Hi, this is extremely well done and very helpful for someone completely new to wet shaving (me).

Just to confirm that the brush is soaked in boiling water? Does it have any potential to hurt the brush?

Thanks!
Alec

So... I got all my stuff today and I may try tomorrow.

When I mix the cream into the bowl - is the water and cream mixing to create a thick foamy lather basically?

Thank you very much for this. Just finished making lather for the first time. Used your instructions - came out wonderfully!

Just sign me,
"what is this that I've gotten myself into?!" Alec

Used:
Rooney 1 Medium Super Brush
Taylor's Rose Cream
No razor yet - waiting on Merkur

Alec,

I missed your posts yesterday. Don't soak your brush in boiling water. Hot water from the tap should be sufficient.

Randy

M

modern man

thats the coolest thing i ever seen i dont have time to do it but u have me thinkin bout trying a tea kettle.................

thats the coolest thing i ever seen i dont have time to do it but u have me thinkin bout trying a tea kettle.................

No joke... it doesn't take more than 2-3 extra minutes, if that. Try it once, and I think you'll be waking up 2-3 minutes early - especially on cold winter days :thumbup:

M

modern man

i also herd it works if u put boiling water in a scuttle to (i am a soap user)

Top Bottom