What's new

Gilette is coming out with a SIX blade razor?

show me the Venus

here ya go big guy:

proxy.php

"So what does the future hold? With only five data-points, it is hard to be sure exactly which mathematical curve is being followed. If it is what is known as a power law, then the 14-bladed razor should arrive in 2100. The spate of recent innovation, however, suggests it may be a hyperbola. In that case, blade hyperdrive will be reached in the next few years and those who choose not to sport beards might be advised to start exercising their shaving arms now."

Hahahahaha

Or just rebadge the Microplane as a razor. You cooking types know what I'm talking about....

-Mo

ooo... I didn't even think of that... (I'm a cooking type)

I've nicked my finger when I stopped paying attention while zesting a lime... those things take off a lot... quick...

I can see it now: they will eventually have so much metal in the multiple blades that those plastic razors will weigh as much as a Fat Boy. :rolleyes:

Kinda funny how the author was amaized at how P&G can "grow" a $200B a year industry by 12%. Isn't that about how much of a price increase the new cartridges are? They grow the industry by making it more expensive. True growth should come from superior products. I wonder if their market share increased with the release of the Fusion?

Sorry-- longish ramble, but you got me going.

When someone believes, without any factual evidence, that a shaving system with more blades will give them a better shave, that is sloppy thinking. If someone believes that the number of blades in the system willhave a distributive effect on the pressure of any one blade, and therefore offer a more comfortable shave, i. e., less of a feeling of a sharp object pressed against your face, that is I think a reasonable reason at least to try a multi-blade shaving system.

However, there HAS to be a point of diminishing returns, where the only thing the number of blades does is allow justification to the shaving company to charge more money, and make the whole contraption bulkier so it does not fit under your nose to shave. (It is interesting that some on this forum think the single blade on the back of the fusion is ingenious-- I consider it a failure and a concession that fitting a system with five blades anywhere on your face is a problem (except maybe the long planes of your cheeks and neck).

So I think it is very rational to expect that a multi-blade system would feel more comfortable as it glides over your face. The next question is-- does it offer a closer shave? I think someone reviewed the Fusion on this forum and gave it high marks. I have not had as much success getting a close shave with a multi as I have had over the last few months with a DE.

Maybe I am paranoid, but I buy into something I heard from someone else years ago. I think the best multi-blade system will always be the most recent model with the most expensive blades. I think this is because usually the same company that makes the newest model and blades also makes the older models, and they do whatever they can to reduce cost for the older models, whether it is to speed up the assembly line, use lower quality steel, reduce the quality control, whatever. I do not assume that they consciously reduce the quality of the blades for the older shaving systems, but I think that is the net effect. This is at the core of why I tried classic wet shaving, and I think it is in the head of many who try it-- I had some vague sense that I was being duped and led to spend more money for the same level of shave quality. I think this is in line with the general behavior of the consumer products companies-- packing less ounces in the same tuna fish container, reducing the standard package of Kraft Cheese Macaroni from 8 ounces to 7 or less. Those on a fixed budget really feel the pain of these profit mongering activities, but it annoys all of us. One of the many great things about classic DE shaving is that it allows you in a small way to avoid the influence of these marketing behemoths.

Vin

I'm confused about all this multiblade stuff. I remember watching Tomorrow's World (UK science programme) as a kid and seeing Michael Rodd or someone demonstrate the so-called "hysteresis effect" by shaving with a cartridge razor with a microscope strapped to it. I wasn't convinced then and I'm not now.

Can there really any be any benefit to these razors other than getting multiple passes with one stroke of the hand?

Hi Guys,

I am brand new here, and have been searching for the answer to shaving problems. I fell for all the multi-blade BS, and now just ordered my first Merkur safety razor (not ready for a cuthroat yet...). That 5-blade monstrosity is rediculous! As cartridge razors go, the Mach 3 Electric blades were the best... this 4-blade and 5-blade stuff is just advertising!

Having used the 5-blade face scraper ONCE, I am sending it back to them, and applying the $9 to my new B&B brush as soon as they are available!

Thanks to all you guys for the info on making a move to a traditional method of shaving that actually seems to work.

Top Bottom