What's new

Simpson Case Brush or Vulfix Travel Brush?

I have a question for the shaving brush cognoscenti out there.

I am looking for a travel brush and have found the Simpson Case and the Vulfix Travel brushes, both of which come with cases. I use shaving soap rather than cream and wonder if anyone has had any experience with either brush.

I have seen the review on the Simpson Case brush in the Review Forum but can't find anything about the Vulfix Travel.

Any Suggestions?

I haven't used these exact brushes but my best guess based on knowledge of the brands is that the Simpson will have more backbone and be better for using with soaps.

Another option would be to get a Rooney 1/1 or 3/1 and put it in a pill bottle with some holes drilled in the lid. That is what I do for travel and so I get the advantage of using the brush at home too!

Rooney 1/1 in Pure. $45. Smaller than a Simpson's Special. Fits nicely in the metal tubes of vintage travel sets.

Best part is you are not giving up ANY performance when you travel.

If I get a Rooney 1/1, what grade do you recommend? They seem to have a wide variety of prices.

Looks like you guys are practically my neighbors!

Rob

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I have a question for the shaving brush cognoscenti out there.

I am looking for a travel brush and have found the Simpson Case and the Vulfix Travel brushes, both of which come with cases. I use shaving soap rather than cream and wonder if anyone has had any experience with either brush.

I have seen the review on the Simpson Case brush in the Review Forum but can't find anything about the Vulfix Travel.

Any Suggestions?

I owned the Simpson Case and it was for me at least woefully short on badger. I think you would be better served elsewhere. The Rooney crowd really likes the Rooney 1/1 and I have been tempted ( in the past) to give it a go myself. It wouldn't come with a travel case per se, but I believe it would provide you with a "fuller" badger experience. (Not to be confused with the Fuller brush company which also made shave brushes in the past)

Whatever you end up doing, enjoy your time here and certainly, Welcome to Badger & Blade!

Shavingessentials.net sells a great travel tube for shaving brushes. Just email John (at SE) about them. Something like $3, plus then you get to buy some other goodies to make shipping worthwhile.

The Simpsons Wee Scot fits in a tiny medicine bottle. That's the ultimate travel brush. 14mm knot diameter and 30-something mm loft. Don't laugh. It's a killer brush with plenty of backbone, and I use one in my regular rotation.

-Andy

I have used a Case from 1979 .I still use it .I just bought a new one
.I think you wil love it .It is great for soap too.

I have a Case and I dig it. Very small, lots of backbone. I have to lather in my palm (I use creams) but I would think it would love soaps. It's a great brush and I highly recommend it, especially for the price.

proxy.php

No mention of the Super Badger "The Major" by Simpson?

Looks like a great brush, and I thought long and hard about it, but $130, oh my.

I settled for this, which appears to be a very similar brush with the same grade of hair. The T&H sells around the net for $110, but can be had for $70 with just a bit of searching. I managed to get it at T&H recently for 15% off.

The T&H Turnback is available in ivory or ebony; I thought the latter was sexier.

proxy.php

The Simpson total height is 123mm (according to WCS) whereas the T&H is 150mm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom