Thread: Lathering with DR Harris Lavender Cream?

Default Lathering with DR Harris Lavender Cream?

All,

Just got my tub of DR Harris Lavender from Jim at Vintage Blades. He mentioned the tub would look half full because its really concentrated and it does.

My question is this:

How do I "charge" the brush? Or better yet, how do you do it? This cream is what I would call a "semi hard" cream where it isn't like TOBS...this morning I used a plastic knife to carve some out. It lathered up nice but I had a little chunk left that I couldn't seem to lather.

Do you guys just rub the brush in the tub or carve some out and put it into the breech of the brush?

Let me know!
    Chris
    Steward of the B&B Clubhouse

Question

Sorry, unrelated to your question, but quickly before things get going, is the scent of D R Harris Lavender cream strong,medium or light? in your opinion. I just got the soap & I can barely detect a scent.

Still love D R Harris though
    Last edited by RILEY; 05-13-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spell check:)

I would say medium-strong. And the color is way, way strong deep purple!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ru4scuba? View Post
    All,

Just got my tub of DR Harris Lavender from Jim at Vintage Blades. He mentioned the tub would look half full because its really concentrated and it does.

My question is this:

How do I "charge" the brush? Or better yet, how do you do it? This cream is what I would call a "semi hard" cream where it isn't like TOBS...this morning I used a plastic knife to carve some out. It lathered up nice but I had a little chunk left that I couldn't seem to lather.

Do you guys just rub the brush in the tub or carve some out and put it into the breech of the brush?

Let me know!

Dude, I have cranked through a fair amount of Harris stuff and I have never had a tub that was so firm you had to carve it out. Really soft cream cheese, yeah, but no more than that.

If it really is that dense your best bet is to charge the brush right off the top. If you try and chunk it out into a bowl no matter how hard you try you probably will never get all of the little "chunklets" to fully dissolve. And that is really annoying.
    "Well, if we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?

Quote Originally Posted by theperfectstorm View Post
    Dude, I have cranked through a fair amount of Harris stuff and I have never had a tub that was so firm you had to carve it out. Really soft cream cheese, yeah, but no more than that.

If it really is that dense your best bet is to charge the brush right off the top. If you try and chunk it out into a bowl no matter how hard you try you probably will never get all of the little "chunklets" to fully dissolve. And that is really annoying.
    I agree charge the brush right off the top. That's the way I used all my Harris creams (when I used creams, that is ) Also, sometimes if the cream has been sitting around it will get more dense (IMHO).

~Paul
    "Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father!" -- Lydia M. Child, U.S. Author and Abolitionist

"Every great change in America begins at the dinner table." -- Ronald Reagan

Images

If you don't want to swirl the brush on the top, here's another way to do it...

Take a knife and scrape thin layers of cream off until you have the amount you want to use (thin layers is important, think of it like butter--scraping thin layers of cold butter helps it spread much more easily than just scraping a single thick chunk). Then simply run the knife/cream under warm/hot water for a few seconds. It will then spread easily in a brush.

I prefer not to swirl my brushes in my creams, and I use mostly very dense creams (CF, SMN, etc.), so I use this method all the time. Works like a charm.

Thanks to all!
    Chris