What's new

The horror, the horror (a cautionary tale)

G

gone down south

What's the first rule boys and girls? If someone touches you in a way that makes you uncomfortable make them stop right away! Why oh why did I forget that?!?!?!

So, last week my wife proved that she had, indeed, been listening to my endless ramblings and got me a proper barbershop shave for my birthday. She knew I wanted a straight shave, and knew enough to stay away from AOS and their Mach3's, so she researched far and wide and came up with a well recommended local place. There aren't a lot of online reviews for men's shaves, you know, but this place good reviews and no negative comments anywhere.

I get all ready for pampering and relaxation, and walking in the door I'm not disappointed. It's a small 2-chair barber shop, but all done in dark woods and rich colours, opera playing quietly in the background, very luxurious. There's high end soaps and super badger brushes all over the place, lots of upscale products being sold and used on customers, I'm liking this. The barber is this totally cool and laid back guy I instantly trust with my face, just quiet confidence. We chat while he does the hot towels and facial massage. He's whipping up some T+H Trafalgar and I'm really getting into it.

Then, he pulls out a shavette (which I'm OK with, it's the best you can expect today) and I swear to god he puts his whole body weight behind it. I can feel him pushing down with it and the tip seems to be making little gouges in my skin. Now, I paid good money for this and I assume he knows what he's doing, and I'm thinking "I've never had a straight shave before, maybe I'm just being sensitive because I'm nervous." The shave cream had made my skin tingly and numb, so I wasn't feeling any razor burn (yet!) He kind of meandered around my face in a random pattern reapplying cream every now and then. About halfway through I knew it wasn't going to end well when he kept sprinkling some kind of powder on my chin and going back over the same spot.

Anyways, long story short, I leave there feeling beat up and looking pretty red. No tip, of course. By the time I walk home I can see major irritation on both cheeks and my mustache area, and there's honest to god blood flowing on my chin. You know those abrasions you get when you wipe out on gravel, the ones that seem to be inside and under the skin? Those are popping up on my chin. Worst of all, there's just about as much stubble on my neck as I had going in and he missed big patches on my chin.

That was Saturday. Naturally, I've been a mess of irritation and dryness ever since. Today, the skin on chin has started to peel and flake. Lovely, huh? And my wife feels awful, because this was supposed to be my special treat 'man spa' day. :sad:

Anyways, lesson learned. The next time I feel the slightest bit uncomfortable anywhere I'm getting up and walking out on the spot. While telling them off in a nice, loud voice to boot.

Oh, and don't go to the 2B Groomed salon in Philadelphia, no matter what anyone else tells you!

Sorry to hear about this. Kinda feel bad for your wife, too. Her heart was in the right place.

Right after the "what cream/soap should I buy" thread, posts like yours seem common. Then again, I might be paying selective attention to them. Shaving another person well is an art form, one I think that has been lost.

Nobody but me is coming near my stubble with a razor. Nobody. I have a cousin who lives near Milan, in Italy, and I've sometimes thought that there might be a fantastic, old school barber there on some side street that could give you that classic, barbershop shave, but I'd have to see him in action first.

Hope things heal up. Tell your wife she's still the best!

Don

Wow - what a story.

To bad it went wrong, I too will not trust anybody with my face. This guy has no business giving straight shaves and should have his shavettes taken away until he learns how to use them.

I hope the healing goes well for you.

Last edited:
I read somewhere on here, that before you sit down for a shave, you should observe the shop for a while. If nobody else is getting a shave, you should pass. If someone is getting a shave, watch their face, and take a good look when they walk out(check for redness, blood, a smile) If the barber finishes up with any safety razor, pass. A straight can do anything a safety can do, and often better(including bloodletting :lol: )

It's a shame that you found out the hard way, but on the bright side, there is now one more place that our members can avoid.

That really is a horror story, and I for one am truly sorry that this has happened to you. as a great barbershop shave really is one of life's luxuries.

It also goes to show that experience counts for everything when it comes to a straight shave, my guess is that this guy has probably only done a straight shave a couple of times before in his career, and only advertised it as a service, in the hope that no-one ever actually asked for one.

Compare that to the barbers in the Middle East and North Africa, who do it all day and every day. I've never had a bad shave there, and I've had more than I care to remember.

Once I was shaved by a twelve year old, who had to stand on a crate to reach my face, and once by a toothless old guy who must have been at least seventy, and who had obvious Parkinsons Disease, but in both cases, not a single nick, or even a hint of razor burn.

BTW whereabouts in Philly are you? My wife and I were there a few weeks ago visiting friends in Fishtown. Had a lot of fun.:001_smile

Oh, been there, done that recently. Lesson learned the hard way. The barber I went to gave me a good haircut, but when it came to a shave, he was more of a butcher than a barber.

I have a local barber shop where I get my crew cut (number 1). Many years ago, when I had a beard and wanted to shave it, I came in for a strait edge shave. The barber did a fine job. It is still the same barbers there (for the most part). When they do my crew cut, they use a strait edge on my sideburns and the back of my neck. It is always smooth and comfortable. I would trust them (With the exception of one who's hands have gotten shaky of late.)! In fact it was my experience with them that led me to seek a better shave, which led me to DE shaving. I plan to try a cut throat too. These are all middle aged or older Italian (most of them much older) guys that have been barbers all their lives. They are very good at what they do.

What I have been leading to in a round about way, is that I think it is a good idea to get a few haircuts, and familiarize yourself with the shop before you trust them with you throat!

Dave

Man...what a story!!:eek:

As someone as said before in Middle East the barbers do a fine job, indeed. In Turkey recently it was an art form!!

You should send to the barber an inflated latex balloon and a goo can saying

Please you should practice in this balloon first...

G

gone down south

It's a shame that you found out the hard way, but on the bright side, there is now one more place that our members can avoid.

Trust me, there's going to be a detailed Yelp post about this soon!

BTW whereabouts in Philly are you? My wife and I were there a few weeks ago visiting friends in Fishtown. Had a lot of fun.:001_smile

We're right in Center City, just north of City Hall and east of the Art Museum (aka Rocky Steps).

This isn't going to stop me from getting barber shop shaves again, but I'm going to need letters of recommendation and maybe an affidavit from previous customers! :tongue_sm

Just plain ouch thats harsh. I remember when I was younger(early teens) even though I had almost nothing in the way of facial hair this older barber I used to go to would give a strait shave with my haircut and I used to love it I need to find a good place around seattle that can give me another.

Make sure you leave a negative review where you checked their reviews out. Tyx 4 taking one 4 the team! At least we are aware of who to avoid in the future. And give your wife props for going to the trouble-not her fault it turned into Saw VI.

marty

Top Bottom