What's new

Rooney Style Info?

Hi all,

I recently got my hands on a Rooney 3/1 in Super (although it was advertised as Silvertip on Charles Nicholls website):

I'm starting to love the brush - more dense than my old TOBS Silvertip, although I had to adjust my lathering technique with it - I need to use more product than before!

Anyway, can someone please explain or point me to a link that describes the various Rooney Styles?

I can see that Style 2 is probably for cream (higher loft?) and styles 1 and 3 for soaps (I'm guessing here).

But - apart from the handles - what is the difference between 1 and 3?

I'm surprised Rooney themselves don't have a website explaining all this.

In fact, many brush manufacturers don't seem to have much info on their products or even a website. I wonder why this is!?

Thanks!

John

I looked at the link you provided and that Rooney #3/1 is different looking than the Rooney's that are sold by VintageBlades and Classic Shaving. The shape of that brush is much more bulb shaped. Does your Rooney have that bulb shape? The Rooney's sold by VB and CS typically have more of a fan shaped head (link).

Whatever the case. The style #1 brushes have the shortest loft and are typically considered a soap brush, the style #2 brushes have the longest loft and are typically considered a cream brush, the style #3 brushes have the "in between" loft height and are therefore considered a combo or all around brush. That said, any Rooney in any style can and will work extremely well with either cream or soap.

Looks to me like the actual sizes vary in different batches, or maybe they're being made to order.

I picked a small style 2 for the longer handle. Have no idea if that's a 1/2 or 2/1. Some pictures show its loft as 55mm, others 50mm or 52mm. Other people have claimed a 60mm loft. Where I bought it, it says 52x22, but I measure 50x20. I've seen some places list it that way.

I have to wonder why the other styles are so much more popular. Maybe it's because of all the confusion in the loft height. I sure wouldn't have bought this with a 60mm loft.

It's still a little damp, but...
proxy.php

proxy.php

Yeah, that's definitely a bloomin' Super 2/1. I have a Finest that's much more compact. It's a 22mm knot and the loft is somewhere between 50- and 52mm, but the Finest hair doesn't seem to bloom nearly as much as the Super (which is okay by me). There's a lot of "variety" amongst the Rooneys, which can drive you crazy, but it's also one of the brand's strengths. My 2/1 works creams like you wouldn't believe, and soaps . . . like you wouldn't believe.

looks like a bloomer
Is that good or bad? :wink:

I knew from my crummy floppy boar brush that I wanted something small, short, and firm, but with a fairly long handle. Since it was so small, I worried about it being too firm, so I went with the super.

The thing is, I hesitated quite a bit because it seemed everyone was getting the 3/1 or 1/1, and saying something about this being much longer, which it isn't.

They also say it's better for creams, which may be true. I only have this about a week, though. It takes me a while to get enough soap on the brush to get a nice thick lather, but that's true of my badger brush, too, so I'm thinking it's me.

I looked at the link you provided and that Rooney #3/1 is different looking than the Rooney's that are sold by VintageBlades and Classic Shaving.

Also, there is a difference between these two vendors in their Rooney lines based upon their customization. As I recall VintageBlades has a bit longer loft (or vice versa). Someone can correct me on which vendor had the longer loft for their brushes.

Also, there is a difference between these two vendors in their Rooney lines based upon their customization. As I recall VintageBlades has a bit longer loft (or vice versa). Someone can correct me on which vendor had the longer loft for their brushes.

According to the recent vender interview with Jim of Vintage blades, there used to be a difference between the two vendors awhile back, but they now both have the same brushes. IIRC.

Looks to me like the actual sizes vary in different batches, or maybe they're being made to order.

I picked a small style 2 for the longer handle. Have no idea if that's a 1/2 or 2/1. Some pictures show its loft as 55mm, others 50mm or 52mm. Other people have claimed a 60mm loft. Where I bought it, it says 52x22, but I measure 50x20. I've seen some places list it that way.

I have to wonder why the other styles are so much more popular. Maybe it's because of all the confusion in the loft height. I sure wouldn't have bought this with a 60mm loft.

It's still a little damp, but...
proxy.php

proxy.php

I love this style brush, I wish they made it in a medium 2/2.

SiBurning,

How does this brush work with soaps? I've been eyeing this brush for some time now and I have a brush that works great with creams but need something with a little more backbone/stiffness to use with soaps.

SiBurning,

How does this brush work with soaps? I've been eyeing this brush for some time now and I have a brush that works great with creams but need something with a little more backbone/stiffness to use with soaps.

The 2/1 Super works great with both soaps and creams. I'm face lathering soaps now, and the 2/1 seems to work a bit better off the puck than with shave sticks, but does a fine job with both.

At one time Vintageblades reportedly sold the shorter loft Rooneys, they were on the order of 5mm shorter than those sold at Classic. Happy to have bought these when they were available, a shame they stopped making them if thats the case.

At one time Vintageblades reportedly sold the shorter loft Rooneys, they were on the order of 5mm shorter than those sold at Classic. Happy to have bought these when they were available, a shame they stopped making them if thats the case.
All of the Rooneys made are the shorter loft versions now

Top Bottom