What's new

Louisville or Indianapolis for a single 30yo

Hey there gang. I was wondering if I might be able to get some opinions and thoughts from you guys. I am looking at leaving Reno for a while to pursue Barbering school and possibly an apprenticeship as well (other states have half the time requirement as Nevada). I have narrowed my choices down to two cities due to location to family and quality of the schools, Louisville and Indianapolis.

My parents currently live a bit south from Indy in Franklin which gives my main reason to chose there so far. On the other hand I have a well advised school and what seems to me a more fitting city for me on cursory examination in Louisville. What I was hoping for is a bit of thoughts from those who have lived in or visited each.

I am nearing my thirtieth birthday (late July) am a video editor in my current state, but moving that to hobby realm as I am quite burnt out after 15 years of working jobs I do not want to work and therefore losing my drive and desire. Currently a full time bike commuter with little desire to change that, though I will if absolutely necessary. I know that the climates are different than here in Reno and am perfectly fine with that. I assume that the climates between the two are pretty similar due to their proximity to one another and probably not hugely different than Northern Ohio where I grew up. I prefer quiet bars where I can talk with others and not be distracted by overly loud music or tvs, though I love a sports bar and dancing as well. Other hobbies include dual line stunt kites, video games, sitting on porches with mates, music live and recorded, reading (good libraries are wonderful things). As mentioned above I am single and have no immediate desires to pursue anything, but nice ladies to dance with and ride away from at the end of the evening are appreciated.

I suppose that is a good start and I appreciate anything you lot can share. Thanks

Personally, I'd pick Louisville over Indy. Louisville has a less "industrial" feel to me, particularly in the downtown area, which has become quite nice over the past decade or two. It's still not a terribly bike-friendly city, but it's getting better in that regard. Living downtown or in Old Louisville would make the most sense in your case -- both are nice areas.

As for climate differences between Louisville and N. Ohio, think 10 degrees warmer and 25% higher humidity (and about 90% less snow :smile:).

I've lived in both and would choose Louisville in a minute. I'm sorry I moved. The restaurants and night life are great. The people are friendly. The climate is good. You got to try Mark's Feed Store's barbecue.

I grew up around Indianapolis and I've visited Louisville many, many times. Both are great cities, but I'd rather be in the Indy area.

neither. which is clostest to the voledrome. :biggrin:

There is a Velodrome just outside of Indy.

Franklin, Indiana is really a great little town. I'd live there and school in Indy.

+1 that would be a great option, plus if you could save some scratch and room with family why pass over the opportunity?

Franklin is a nice place, but there are other great options near Indy as well. Greenwood, Carmel, and Westfield are all good locations.

Seems as though the people who live in Indianapolis would rather live in Louisville - this is your answer.

And people from Louisville will likely say Indianapolis. That's just life in General. Look at all the people who live in Texas and post on here about not moving there.

Top Bottom