What's new

Looking to purchase my first straight.

I am looking to further my RAD my delving into the realm of straights. I wanted to for quite some time. I am currently looking at the Dovo Bismarck spike point. I will be using it once a week, most likely on a Sunday, I have a lot more time to myself and I will really be able to enjoy learning with a new tool.

Most importantly being a spike point, is it not a good idea for a person new to straight shaving to be using one? I do have very steady hands and not reckless. Just wondering if there are any points (no pun intended) I should be aware of when using a spike.

As always thank you,
Gary

just a tip from someone whose been there - you'll quickly find youself using straights on more than sunday!

I'd stay away from a spike point as youre learning, its easy to do yourself a damage with one while youre getting used to whipping that blade about your face. I'd suggest getting a shave ready round end straight from the BST for now while you learn, THEN pick up spikes (nobody ever avoids getting multiple straights either).

If you cant be talked out of getting the spike, just be really, really careful when the tip is near your nose and ears!

good luck!

Some spikes are easier to use than others. For me, the determining factor is length. The spike on longer blades wants to bite more than that of shorter blades. I never had a problem with Dovo spike points. Let's face it, a spike point keeps you on your toes. You will only slip up once or twice!

Last edited:
The spike points on either side of an Iwasaki were too much for me. As were the scars it caused. :blush: But I like the point on my Duck. Only bit me once.

I would still recommend a round point as a starter. It's just one less thing to worry about.

Fair enough. You have me sold on trying a round point first. Hmm. How about the Dovo faux tortoise shell? I hear it's a smooth shaver. Any feed back from you guys?

A Double Arrow is a good way to get into Straight shaving on the cheap.
The normal ebay seller with them is currently out of stock though.

You can easily tame any true spike point razor, by easing the sharp extreme tip a touch on a hone.
proxy.php

You can easily tame any true spike point razor, by easing the sharp extreme tip a touch on a hone.
proxy.php

Yup, anyone with experience and a hone can do that for ya. I'll do it for free if you want. I don't see much point to having it be a real spike. They hurt. A lot. When you stab yourself. A tamed spike gets just as good of a line too.

Some...

You asked about the Dovo fake turtle; I have 2: one 5/8 and one 6/8. The 5/8 has been relegated to my travel back up and the 6/8 is in my regular rotation. I prefer a 6/8 to a 5/8 and think that Dovo is one of the most comfortable handling razors I have plus it looks really good and it's reasonably priced. I think you can't go wrong with it.

Another razor I have taken a real shine to is one of the new 6/8 stainless Solingens on Martin Nienberg's site rasurpur.de. I touched up the edge a bit on the one I got and it is an excellent shaver.

--notes from a razor junkie-- :wink:

Top Bottom