What's new

Merkur blades bad - Merkur razors better?

I was just thinking (I know somethings don't happen too often) about how everyone, well almost everyone agrees that Merkur blades are some of the worse blades one can drag across their face. Yet their razors are well regarded, doesn't this seem like a conundrum?

How can a company who supposedly makes good DE razors (I state supposedly since my first two have had quality issues) make such bad razor blades? Wouldn't you think that they would be producing the best razor blades out there to compliment their razors?

This makes one wonder, how can they have differrent quality standards as to what is acceptable for different products they make, especially one as important as the blade. I think it would be good for them to outsource their razor blade manufactuing to a newly not utilized blade manufacturing facility - i.e. Gilette Swedes

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This is an interesting question. I have no idea why Merkur would have a better quality razor without a blade that goes with it. Their blades magically improved when I was more exprencied. Improved enough so I buy 100? I don't think so. They could do a better product but I would guess they are making more money with the razors...

I wouldn't say Merkur blades are terrible, but I wouldn't use them again. Blades are YMMV, some love them, some hate them. There razors are impecable though. I know 5 people personnaly that have bought them and they were all perfect. Its just one of those things I think.

I was using my 38C last week with a Merkur blade and thought to myself that I should PIF the two full packs of Merkurs I have left because they were just rubbish.

Last night I pulled out the Futur and gave the Merkur blade one last shot and all I have to say is 'amazing'! Smoothest shave, really unbelieveable. So I am going to use the Merkurs in the Futur only from now on.

- Aaron

This is an interesting thread. I'd like to think that Merkur can make blades but one of the first things I did upon finding this place was change blades from Merkurs....and immediately got better results. Mind you, I used to have to oil before and balm afterwards and now I just use soap/cream and go... I've got some Merk blades still lying around from over a year ago- think I'll dig them out and give them a try. I can get them locally from a real-world shop. It'd be nice to be able to just wlak round there and get a 100 at a time.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This is an interesting thread. I'd like to think that Merkur can make blades but one of the first things I did upon finding this place was change blades from Merkurs....and immediately got better results. Mind you, I used to have to oil before and balm afterwards and now I just use soap/cream and go... I've got some Merk blades still lying around from over a year ago- think I'll dig them out and give them a try. I can get them locally from a real-world shop. It'd be nice to be able to just wlak round there and get a 100 at a time.

What's your shaving routine now?

This is an interesting question. I have no idea why Merkur would have a better quality razor without a blade that goes with it. Their blades magically improved when I was more exprencied. Improved enough so I buy 100? I don't think so. They could do a better product but I would guess they are making more money with the razors...

I noticed this this weekend. I tried a merkur blade and it was fine. I don't think, however, that it is worth it's price.

I think its just down to their business model. Unlike the original razor blade model (that gillette basically invented) theyre not trying to make profits through the blades. Their core competence is in stuff like metal casting and electroplating to fairly fine tolerances. Why have all the costs and problems associated with an entirely different business when they have a working one as is. (which is why car companies dont make tyres, paper mills dont make pens etc)

They probably just decided it would be a good idea to ship some with blades, and put the contract out to tender to get the cheapest possible blade to put their name on.

Also keep in mind that many (including myself) have run into Merkur razors with pretty shocking quality control issues. When you a get a good one, it's damn good....trouble is, they ain't all good! :biggrin:

What's your shaving routine now?

Bathe, shave, rinse.
If I'm using soap (either Tabac or MWF, never anything else nowadays) I pre-soak it (it lives in a lidded ramikin deep enough to get an inch or so of water on top of the soap) and the brush in xly hot water it while having a bath, then tip out the water and lather up. I use vrs DEs but almost always Feathers, then rinse my face. If using cream, I soak only the brush but heat my lather-bowl in v hot water before adding the cream. I find cream's best on the 3rd pass, as its had time to soak up the water and get going. Maybe I'm just impatient and should wait a little longer, but it seems to work ok

I hate that I keep using guitars as an analogy, but Fender makes terrible strings (IMO) but great guitars. I think it just makes sense to produce all points of your product, even if your emphasis is on one over the other.

I rate the Merkur blades as just average. I am still going through some free packs I got with the razors. Not keen.

Also I think the Gillette razors like the Superspeed and the Slim adjustable (don't get on at all well with the Fat boy!) are far, far better quality than the standard Merkurs.

On the other hand, I much prefer shaving with the Merkurs to the Gillettes as I think they give a much better shave! Especially my Futur and the Slant.

Confused of Cheltenham

At first I doubt that Merkur makes razor blades itself.
Maybe somewhere in one of the Dovo plants but at the same factory? Probably made by a completely different producer who will put any name on the package as long as they pay.
I don't think their blades are horrible either; for me they work pretty good (far better than Derby's for sure) just not worth the money they charge.

The razors do seem to have some quality issues but I am gratefull at least one factory kept on making a wide range of shaving fossils till present day.

But if you want some real quality you should take a look at the Mühle or EJ razors...

+1, I love my EJ. Don't have a Merkur to compare to, but I can hardly imagine a better built one than my EJ, and I just got the cheap one!:w00t:

I have an EJ, superb fit and finish, a bit too light but excellent shaver; definitely an ace. Though the paramount of Murker razors is the Slant, hands down. I am a fan of their 1904 too.

Top Bottom