What's new

Department store vetiver?

I have no clue what vetiver smells like. What is a vetiver that they have have Macy's, Dilliards, etc. that I could smell?

Unfortunately, I have not seen any vetiver scents at either Dillards or Macys. The true scent is woodsy but there are many interpretations of this scent. You may luck out and find Guerlain Vetiver at one of these stores.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any vetiver scents at either Dillards or Macys. The true scent is woodsy but there are many interpretations of this scent. You may luck out and find Guerlain Vetiver at one of these stores.

So the Vetiver EO should smell woody? That doesn't sound bad. Why do some people hate it then?

So the Vetiver EO should smell woody? That doesn't sound bad. Why do some people hate it then?

Vetiver has many incarnations - the Gurlain vetiver has woody, earthy, smokey, tobacco elements.

If you can't find the Gurlain, try to find Paul Smith Story - its got a citrus topnote, but if you wait 15 minutes or so, the vetiver base comes out - you need to try it on your skin as it doesn't develop properly on a card. While some may pooh-pooh, I think the Story is a very good gateway vetiver (especially as compared to the Gurlain, which can evoke very strong reactions - both positive and negative).

Hope this helps.

Vetiver is a woody scent, but I would say that it has an earthy smell to it too. It is definitely unusual. My first experience with it was Comme des Garcons' Vettiveru. I don't think that I had ever smelled a vetiver before, but I tried it and bought it at a Tokyo boutique. It took me a while to get used to it, but I really like it now. The fragrance is also dependent on the other notes added to it--CdG also has cedar giving it a dry, woody smell. Guerlain has a citrus note.

I saw l'Occitane's vetiver in the store near my house this past weekend. If you have a Sephora around, they usually carry the Guerlain. Royall also has a vetiver but I've never smelled it. Still, those three should be pretty easy to get. If you're willing to buy scent unsmelled, there are good on-line prices for the Guerlain.

To my uneducated snout, there is always something about Woods of Windsors edt that puts me in mind of the Vetivers I have sniffed (Floris, L'Occitane).

Am I way out or is there a hint of it?

Top Bottom