What's new

Hello from Michigan!

Another wetshaving n00b checking in!

Switched from electric to Mach 3 about 8 years ago, when a couple friends got them and raved. Found the shave quite comfortable and close actually (the electric was quick but tore up my face something awful). Got a Burma Shave brush a few years later, which reduced razor burn when going for those BBS shaves, but not as well as switching to Neutrogena. The stuff in a tube that doesn't lather. KoS Alpha Gel was even better. At some point I got a free Fusion in the mail; I didn't find it to shave any closer, but it just felt better. Over the years I got good at making multiple passes to get really smooth, but now the cartridges don't seem to last as long as they used to. The last one I had didn't last two weeks. Don't know if my beard is getting that much coarser, they've cheapened the cartridges, or maybe I just got a bad one, but for $3 per cartridge there shouldn't be any bad ones.

So I went to order a Merkur HD, but the Futur was so darn good looking I got that instead. It came yesterday, right after I got done shaving. On my last shave with the Fusion I applied the KoS with the brush, made 3 passes instead of the usual 2 (4 under my chin as usual), and probably got the closest shave of my life. This morning I tried the Futur on a 1 setting with a Derby Extra, with the KoS and brush, and really got what I think is a DFS in about 3 passes. A couple nicks but no burn like yesterday. I'll run out to Target Monday evening and get some Prorasco and maybe a better brush., then I can do it right!

Anyway sorry for rambling, you guys have been a real help already. :thumbup1:

Hold up your right and point to where you live. Take a picture and post it. All of us Michiganders will try to guess the town.

(I grew up right about here *points to Grand Rapids*) The picture in my avatar was taken on Ionia St. in downtown Grand Rapids, actually, now that I think about it.

Welcome to B&B!

Hold up your right and point to where you live. Take a picture and post it. All of us Michiganders will try to guess the town.

(I grew up right about here *points to Grand Rapids*) The picture in my avatar was taken on Ionia St. in downtown Grand Rapids, actually, now that I think about it.

Welcome to B&B!

Welcome to B&B!

I thought I was going to move to Grand Rapids this year but the job didn't pan out for my wife. Too bad, I love it there!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Welcome fellow Michigander - I am down at the right wrist of the Mitten -

Welcome to B&B!

Fellow Michigander, Michiganian, or Michiganianer (or whatever we call oursleves) welcome! If you are ever reach the streets of Saginaw (kind of where the thumb meets the rest of the hand, then SW about half an inch) and need a shave, I will gladly provide the gear!

Michiganianderans unite!

Welcome fellow Michigander :biggrin:

Don't bother with Target... the info stating they carry Proraso products is out of date, you'll be lucky to find even a round of shaving soap there.

For starter gear that you can pick up in a local store, hop into a Walmart, they should carry Van Der Hagen Deluxe soap (pink puck), which is a great shaving soap to start on. Pick up a styptic pencil to seal up nicks, and an aftershave lotion splash or balm while you're there, whichever one you think you'll fancy. Check out the Kroger stores in your area, often in their natural foods/products section you can find Kiss My Face shaving cream in the pump. You can also get that in stores like Vitamin Shoppe, and Whole Foods grocery stores will often carry several of the KMF varieties.

Finding a decent shaving brush locally on the other hand is a lot more tricky. There are a couple of cigar shops I've been to in MI that have carried brushes and creams and soaps and the traditional shaving equipment, one in Southfield and one in downtown Ann Arbor. For the money though, you're usually better off just ordering online.

Last edited:
Fellow Michigander, Michiganian, or Michiganianer (or whatever we call oursleves) welcome! If you are ever reach the streets of Saginaw (kind of where the thumb meets the rest of the hand, then SW about half an inch) and need a shave, I will gladly provide the gear!

Michiganianderans unite!

Geez, how long have you been in this state?!?! It's Michigander! I hate it when people use Michiganian. It is acceptable yes, but come on Michigander rolls off the tongue better. Besides I'm proud to use any name given to the inhabitants of this state that was given to us by Abraham Lincoln!

Top Bottom