What's new

Bowl, Latte or Scuttle???

I know a lot of guys around here like the moss scuttle.

I'm getting perfectly good results from my latte mug, and dont really see any reason to switch.

The Moss Scuttle is the bomb! Hot moist lather throughout the shave. It works with creams and soaps just as well.

Chris

I haven't tried a real scuttle, yet, but I recently switched from a very large ceramic coffee mug to two black, ceramic cereal (or soup) bowls. I use the two bowls much like a scuttle, half filling the bottom one with hot water and making my lather in the top one, which is nested into the bottom one to keep it warm. It is working exactly as planned, giving me nicely warm fourth passes.

Tim

I recently was given a Moss Scuttle (small size), but I had been using a stoneware bowl. The Scuttle is nice since it keeps the lather toasty, but its bowl is too small to build a strong lather.

My stoneware bowl builds mountains of lather quite easily. Obviously, YMMV, but at $2, the bowl was obviously the better deal. Still, the scuttle is fun -- especially since I got it for free.

I primarily use the scuttle now as a "brush warmer," although I will use it to lather using my Simpson Case (C1) from time to time (the only brush I have that's small enough to actually lather in the scuttle). I get my best lathers from a normal ol' bowl. The hot scuttle is really great for just setting the brush in between passes with the razor.

So... Large or Small Moss Scuttle, I'm thinking the large has more room to work the lather in. I've read a couple comments that the small was too small, is the large that much bigger?

What's the difference between 8 and 10 cm?

Thanks

When I use soap, I use an ironstone scuttle made in England by Bunleigh, a gift from my wife. When it's cream, I use a $3 ceramic bowl I bought at Target.

So... Large or Small Moss Scuttle, I'm thinking the large has more room to work the lather in. I've read a couple comments that the small was too small, is the large that much bigger?

What's the difference between 8 and 10 cm?

Thanks

The Scuttle was designed to keep the lather warm, not to provide a place to build the lather. When I use my Scuttle (and I have the large one), I still build the lather in my stainless steel mixing bowl. Yeah, another step added to the process, but much easier than using a hot pot.

Randy

I use a bowl, someday I'd like to get a scuttle. But most are my brushes are quite large so they wouldn't fit. I think I'm going to starting using two bowls soon. The bottom one with hot water and the top one lather in.

I probably put more effort into it than it's worth. I make my lather in a heated bowl via lukewarm water. Then I make my lather. Then I scrape as much as I can get out of the bowl and transfer to the mug where my razor had been soaking in lukewarm water. Then I fill the bowl that once held the lather, with lukewarm water, and nest the mug inside of that.

You could try the above with hotter water and see what happens.

Duggo

Until recently...I just lathered on my face. The Salters creams (of which I have quite a few) caused a few problems,,,,so now I use a bowl....for perfect lather.

Brian

Two mugs-one halfway filled with microwaved water on the bottom; the other pre-heated with the other half of microwaved water on top-lather built in this one.

Marty

Hello All,

I use a large Scottish quaich as my lather bowl and a Proctor Silex hotpot to keep it, the lather and my brush toasty warm during the entire shave.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
So that's the quaich sitting in the hot pot? Was it luck or on purpose that it fits like that?

Top Bottom