What's new

Merkur as graduation gift - help needed!!

A buddy of mine just graduated from law school. A few weeks ago he showed some interest in wet shaving (probably from hearing me talk about it) and has purchased and AOS brush, soap, etc. But, he is still using a cartridge razor.

I can't let such a travesty continue any longer. The guy needs a DE razor.

I need some advice on a NEW razor for a noob. I'm assuming that this means a Merkur? [edit: I see that classic shaving has some house-brand new de's... any info on these?]

I've been using only Gillette's, so I've kept myself fairly ignorant about Futurs, HD's and the like... but I don't want to gift a used eBay razor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would suggest either the 34C or the Progress. The Progress is nice because it is adjustable. As your friends technique improves, he can dial it up. I find the head geometry of the Progress works better for me than the HD but YMMV. Either razor would be a fine choice.

Does it have to me a Merkur? You could always get him a shiny vintage Gillette for a better price...But perhaps that doesn't have the "new" feeling you'd like your gift to have.

I would stay away from the adjustable because it is one more variable for him to deal with, and as you are learning you want to keep it pretty straight forward. I would suggest the 34C HD, its a great razor and perfect for beginners.

Why do you want to stay away from Gillette's? Do you just not like gifting something that is used? If you look at if from the perspective of giving him something that is not just simply used, but vintage then maybe you'd feel different about it. I'm sure he would appreciate a vintage razor that was in excellent condition just as much, if not more, than a new one.

Does it have to me a Merkur?

Nope. It doesn't have to be a Merkur, that's just one of the new mfrs that I'm aware of.

To me, using a vintage (read as: was once someone else's razor) is a personal decision. Some people, myself included, are cool with doing so. Some people don't want to rub their face with a used.

If he was already "into" DE's, then the vinatage would probably be more appreciated, but for a pure DE noob, a new razor is probably best.

Why do you want to stay away from Gillette's? Do you just not like gifting something that is used? I

It's not that I wouldn't want to give a used gillette, it's more of a consideration from the new shaver's perspective.

Heck, look on this board. There are people who buy a vintage gillette, wash it in soap and water, and use it. There are people who won't use it until it's been barbicided. Then, there are people who wouldn't use a used gillette even if it had been autoclaved. And, that's among DE aware people.

For a buying a razor for someone else, who is a total DE noob, I think that a new razor is best.

Get him a 34C. It's new, it's shiny, it looks good as a gift and it's a fine razor.

Then let him decide later on if he wants to go vintage.

I understand why you don't want to give him a Gillette. In any other situation, I would recommend a gillette. But I am sure the 34C will be great.

Another vote for a 34C... Still probably my personal favorite so far, out of the seven razors I currently have.

Guys guys...you are forgeting the best off all Merkur: the 23C.Long handle you know...he came from a mach or similar so a long handle suits him best to learn the wrist movement...

You might consider the new Mühle R89; it is not more expensive than an HD (don't know for the US though) and fit and finish are definitely on a higher level. Not overly aggressive and not too mild either.

I'd go with the 23C or 34C as everyone else has said.

Or, a NOS Gillette. Then you know it's sanitary to shave with (or at least as sanitary as any Merkur). Law school graduation desrves an NOS Toggle imo ;)

Guys guys...you are forgeting the best off all Merkur: the 23C.Long handle you know...he came from a mach or similar so a long handle suits him best to learn the wrist movement...

very good point

Maybe, but I personally found that it really made no difference whatsoever. I took my Gillette Tech quite easily. Then again this is very likely an issue where YMMV.

You might consider the new Mühle R89; it is not more expensive than an HD (don't know for the US though) and fit and finish are definitely on a higher level. Not overly aggressive and not too mild either.

I like this idea. I've never used a Mühle, but that is a sharp looking razor. Definitely something worthy of being a graduation gift.

Graduation is a special event. I would recommend the Edwin Jagger Diffusion in lined chrome: http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DE89Ldb5||@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@b|0|user||18|

It isn't too expensive (about $32 delivered) and it is a beauty. I personally like it much more than the Merkur HD, but of course YMMV.

This one isn't bad looking either. Personally, I would go with this one or that Mühle. Don't get me wrong, Merkur makes some nice razors but these look really great. You're going to want to get your buddy a special razor for this special occasion, and I think either that Edwin Jagger or that Mühle fit the bill.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If you stick with Merkur, I would recommend the HD or a Classic. They should be both very easy to start with. As you don't want to go with vintage DE, the other option would be the Muhle as already recommended but I do not know how it performs.

Top Bottom