What's new

My first hone

M

Mista8ch

Hey guys,

I just got my norton 4k/8k waterstone and i wanted to know if i was honing my razor right. This razor is a 1933 BLADE ETCHED WUSTHOF STRAIGHT RAZOR i got off eBay. Here is my video and please let me know if i am doing it correct. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQptC_wmUSw

Well, probably the best indicator is if you are getting consistent results. Is the razor getting sharper across the entire length of the blade? If so then yeah you're doing fine!

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm also a newbie at honing, but you might want to consider doing an X pattern when you hone. I hear it helps with smiling blades (though I can't confirm it as I haven't honed one yet.... though soon enough I suppose), and it helps when parts of the blade aren't as sharp as others.
I have personally found it gives me a lot more of a feel of what is going on compared to just using back and forth motions. You can switch between toe leading and heel leading strokes to give them more attention if need be too.

Are you finishing on a pasted paddle or hanging strop? Spill the details man! :lol:

As far as just going back and forth is concerned, you're doing it just like I've seen in other videos, so keep up the good work!

Oh and most importantly, welcome to B&B! You have an ambitious first post!

Top Bottom