What's new

What camera and photo gear do you use?

The only digital camera I have is a point & shoot Casio - good camera for what it is.

For more 'traditional' photography, film is still best, IMHO.
I am using a Nikon F4, for 'automated' picture taking - usually with a Tamron 75-120mm autofocus lens - and a Nikon F2 when I do B/W 'fully manual' pics (otherwise known as 'arty-farty'). I have a range of lenses for the F2, from 16mm fisheye and 22mm wide angle through to 70mm shift-correction lenses and 150mm zooms, also have a range of filters for B/W etc etc...serious 'CAD'!

Started out with Nikon F100, D80 and a slew of wasteful lenses.
Now using a Canon 5d2 and a few adapted M645 mamiyas + mirex tilt shift adapter for landscapes, panos, and buildings, and some streets .. and nothing else.

Never tried shooting any small products, but i guess B&B is a good place to start

:biggrin1:

Ryan

I still have my Nikon D40 (as for many, my first D-slr)
I have also a Nikon D200
The 18-55mm that came with the D40.
a 55-200mm VR
a Nikkor 28mm f2.8
Nikkor 50mm f2.0
Some filters, a tripod and camera bags.

I think that's it.

AH! and a piece of white paper, to set my WB sometimes.

Film

SLRs
Minolta Maxxum 3000i
-Sakar 28-70mm
-Sakar 70-210mm
-Minolta D314i Flash
Ricoh XR-1s
-Sears 135mm Macro
-Ricoh 50mm
-Vivitar Auto Thyristor 2800 Flash
Nikon EM
-Nikon 52mm
-Nikon 100mm
-Nikon SS-10 Flash
Honeywell/Pentax H1a (M42 Screw Mount, SM)
-Asahi Optical 55mm
-Asahi Optical 35mm
-Asahi Optical 135mm
-Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm Macro
-M42 Macro Bellows (Germany)

Rangefinders
Canon EE17
Minolta Autopak 700
Minolta Hi-Matic 9

Misc 35mm
Agfa Memo (1930s, VERY clean)

Instant
Polaroid Land Camera, Swinger Model 20

Digital

SLRs
Nikon D200
-Sigma 18-50mm
-Nikon Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm
-Phoenix Ring Lite

Point and Shoot
Panasonic DMC-FZ20 (12X opt., Leica elements)
-Converted to Infrared (Very cool! and easy to do)

Tripod
Dynatran Professional Series AT-828, pistol-grip ball-head, quick release
-Very good/solid, but VERY heavy!

I'm sure I may have missed a few things... but, this is the bulk of it all.:biggrin:

*EDIT* Forgot to mention that I have used all of the cameras except for the Polaroid and the Agfa (I need to find the 2 metal film spools and hand-load it to function), but the main "go-to" for me is the D200

Last edited:
Nikon FM2, FE2, F100, D80
A slew of Nikkors from 16mm, 20mm, 24, 28, 35, 50, 85 ..... till 600mm,
and a variety of PC lenses for t/s stuffs.

And earlier this yr , a Canon 5D MkII, 24mmL, 135mmL, and cross adapting old Mamiya M645 24mmfe, 35mm, 55mm, 150mm via Mirex T/S adapter

Ryan

Ebony 617S large format
Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID
Walker Titan XL Wide 5X7

Canon 5D MK II for quick looks

highly modded oatmeal box camera

numerous other 35mm rigs

cityjim

Updating my gear:

I got to the point where I realized that I never actually used my Sony point and click, so I sold it.

Yesterday, being fed up with the always dirty/dusty sensor of my old Canon 20D (it's a common problem with the 20D - and it is a pain to clean compared to most newer DSLR's) - I decided that enough was enough and up-/downgraded to the new Canon 500D.

Upgaded because on the technical side the 500D is basicly a baby 50D - and out og the box just takes way better pics. than the 20D ever has.

Downgraded because the 20D is a semi-pro camera with a big heavy (and sturdy) magnesium body and the 500D is a smaller lighter camera with a plastic body - I still prefer the feel and ergonomics of my 20D, but I can get used to the 500D - and a 50D is out of my financial league, for now at least.

I bought the 500D with the EFS 18-55 mm kit objective. Mostly because it wasn't much more expensive that the camera body alone - and because I was curious to see how it performed, all the reviews I have read of the 500D and the kit objective has been extremely positive. The kit objective performs suprisingly well - and it is a nice lightweight and inexpensive objective for hiking, but even though the new 18-55 is a lot better than the old, the pictures it produces are still very "soft", especially when going on full zoom. The built in image stabilizer is also a bit too slow for my temprement - but othervice it does it's job rather well.

After having played around with the kit objective I put on my trusty 28-135 mm USM objective - costing almost as much as the camera. With this objective the pics. are sharp enough to cut through glass.

I am so far very much impressed by this so called beginners DSLR. Though I still want the 50D badly :001_smile

Regards.

Jakob

My Camera Kit to date:

Nikon
F with the eyelevel prism.
F Photomic Tn
Nikkormat Ftn
F2 Photomic
F3HP
FM
FE

Leica
M3 Dual Stroke Rangefinder

Olympus
Om-1
Om-1md
Om-2n

Pentax
Model K
H3
S1a
SV
Spotmatic F

Minolta
XE-7
SRT-202

and for medium format I have two Rolleis on loan to me:
Rolleicord I think a Vb
Rolleiflex Automat with a 75 f3.5 Schneider lens.

I am really lusting after a Rolleiflex.

Woo! Camera gear!

Currently I have in stock:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ15 point-and-shoot

Pentax ME Super 35mm film SLR
--Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.4
--Vivitar Series 1 70mm-200mm f/3.5
--Pentax SMC 28mm f/4

Holga 120N Medium format film

Pentax K20D D-SLR
--Pentax DA* 16-50mm f/2.8
--I also use all of my lenses from the OLD Pentax on here... it's great.

Homemade Lego 4x5 Pinhole Camera

Usually I carry around the K20d in a Lowepro backpack that also fits my laptop, but I like using the others for more artistic projects.

Of course, there's alwasy so much more camera stuff to buy. I'm looking at expanding more into medium and large format film systems, as well as getting one of the Pentax Waterproof point-and-shoots, and eventually I hope to get a full-frame DSLR like the Canon 5D MkII.

Oh, and the entire DA* series of lenses from Pentax :)

</wishful thinking>

Camera Bodies:
- Canon 20D DSLR
- Canon SD1100is (point-n-shoot)
- Canon Rebel G SLR (film)

Lenses:
- EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM
- EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (aka Thrifty Fifty)
- Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Flashes:
- Speedlite 580EX II

Various filters, tripods, monopod and lots o' memory cards :biggrin:

Legion

Staff member
Leica M6, Leica M3 (x2)

A WHOLE bunch of Nikon gear.

A few different sorts of Mamiya medium format cameras.

I used to be a photographer. All the camera's I own take film which presents a bit of a problem these days. :rolleyes:

Whenever I needed a digital SLR I just took home one of the work ones which were way better than anything I was prepared to pay for.

I don't have that luxury any more and, having been spoiled by only ever using top end pro camera's, I have trouble with the idea of forking out the big money for something that will be outdated before it is paid off.

Wow, lots of cool stuff here, from old rangefinders to view cameras to the latest digital. My stuff pales in comparison, but it works for me:

Film:

Leica M3
Leica M4
35mm Summicron f3.5 RF ("with eyes" for the M3)
35mm Summicron f2
50 mm Summicron dual range
90mm Elmarit-m f 2.8
135 Hektor f4
Voigtlander 21mm f4 M-mount Skopar lens
quick-load adapter for M-3
various Leica meters, filters and accessories
Sekonic 308S meter

Digital:

Canon 20D
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro
Canon EF 70-300/4-5.6IS USM

I've been thinking of picking up the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3, as sort of an all-in-one compact package to carry when I don't want to drag everything around with me. Here's a review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/came...x-dmc-zs3/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs3-review.html

Canon Powershot SD 990 is what I use right now.

I have two SLRs back home and as much as I'd like to use them, I can't afford to have the film developed. Once I get out of this teeny-tiny dorm room, I'd like to put together my own darkroom.

For the time being, the Powershot does a good job. Small, great quality pics (14.7-megapixel) and relatively inexpensive.

Nikon D300 with Sandisk ExtremeIII 8gig cards. Sb-600 and Sb80-dx flashes as well as an Aurora Lightbank studio strobe.
Lenses:
80-200f2.8 Nikon AF-D
18-70 f3.5-4.5G AF-S Nikon kit lens
Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro lens
Sigma 28-135 f3.5-5 macro lens
50mm f1.8 Nikon AF lens

Nikon F4s with same lenses and flash system

Mamiya 645 with 80mm f2.8 Sekor C lens

Calumet 4x5 monorail with 210/370 f4.5 lens

Cheers,
Sean

I'm on my first DSLR and loving it.

My current rig is:

Nikon D40
Nikkor 18-55mm (kit lense)
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
SB-600 Flash

I find myself using the 50mm quite a bit even though it does not autofocus on the D40. I have become really proficient with manually focusing and it doesn't bother me at all.

The 35mm f1.8 is next... if I can finally find one :(

Top Bottom