What's new

Our Grandfathers Knew How to Travel!

Hi Guys,

I've yet to try a straight razor - I usually frequent the safety razor forums, but I just thought I'd share this with you guys.

I saw this on an antiques site:

http://www.grahamsmithantiques.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=774&idcategory=0

and it got me thinking that guys in the past had some lovely kit to travel with. I pop my Fatboy, brush and tube of cream in a toilet bag and off I go, but imagine carrying this kit? Although I suspect that the original owner had someone to carry it for him.

The razors and ivory handled brush look to be in great condition. Mmmm, nice.

I would assume, if you had this, then you wouldn't have to lug it around when traveling. Very nice though.

Stunning, one of our wealthy grandfathers at least.

What do you gents think that would cost new in todays money?

:o16: Wow!

That is one nice piece of kit.

I would imagine a line of sherpas or one poor old bat-man would have to haul the kit that would have to accompany that travel chest.

G

gone down south

I would guess that box is meant to sit on your dresser, not get carted around with you.

Hi Guys,

I've yet to try a straight razor - I usually frequent the safety razor forums, but I just thought I'd share this with you guys.

We need to help you fix that.

onotoman said:
I saw this on an antiques site:

http://www.grahamsmithantiques.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=774&idcategory=0

and it got me thinking that guys in the past had some lovely kit to travel with. I pop my Fatboy, brush and tube of cream in a toilet bag and off I go, but imagine carrying this kit? Although I suspect that the original owner had someone to carry it for him.

The razors and ivory handled brush look to be in great condition. Mmmm, nice.

Agreed, that is a mighty hot kit. I think the best chance I would personally have of owning something that is to build it myself :lol:.

Quite the opposite.
It is for travel.
Yup, along with this you would have one of those travel cases that has compartments for shoes and such. Total class.

As far as cost goes, sheesh not sure, for that same quality I could realistically see it as the same amount is the one that is linked. 600 pounds or so, so about $900. I could see it fetching that in some high end stores.

Thats nice, you can get a smaller one from ClassicShaving for a couple hundred made by T.I. I believe. For DE or straights.

What an amazing case!

I imagine that the gentleman who first used that case either traveled by carriage or in his own train car.

What an amazing case!

I imagine that the gentleman who first used that case either traveled by carriage or in his own train car.

And would have had a house boy to load it into his carriage, a coachman to unload it when he arrived, and a bellman/somebody else's house boy to set his room up when he arrived at his destination. This is Victorian luggage at it's finest.

I'd love to see the full set with the hat box, shoe case, suit trunk and coat bag. It would be an amazing set, all done in matching leather and brass corners and latches.

I do have a 'proper' straight razor and a straight razor that takes disposable blades (like half a DE blade). Should I try a go with the one that uses the removable blades first - or should I try to go straight to the proper straight?

I also bought a strop, paste and honing stone - see I am 'planning' to use a straight one day.

I'm also left-handed to trying to watch technique videos is a bit difficult.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

We need to help you fix that.

Agreed, that is a mighty hot kit. I think the best chance I would personally have of owning something that is to build it myself :lol:.

I do have a 'proper' straight razor and a straight razor that takes disposable blades (like half a DE blade). Should I try a go with the one that uses the removable blades first - or should I try to go straight to the proper straight?

I also bought a strop, paste and honing stone - see I am 'planning' to use a straight one day.

I'm also left-handed to trying to watch technique videos is a bit difficult.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Is the straight shave ready? If so just go straight to it. I hear the disposable styles are actually more difficult to use for a newbie.

Top Bottom