What's new

Honemeister needing. Who should I call? (Well, email, or something).

I am really itching to try my straights. I have a Henckels on the way from ebay, which I am going to clean up. Once I have it clean, I want to get it professionally honed, so I know what a really good edge should feel like.

Suggestions on who to contact, and how much they charge?

(I know that Lynn does it through Classic. Wondering what the other options are).

-Mo

First, I'd make sure the razor is worth investing the $ into having honed.... as it may not be "worth it." If it is worthy of honing, I would contact Lynn, or Randy Tuttle.

First, I'd make sure the razor is worth investing the $ into having honed.... as it may not be "worth it."

Fair point. I am assuming that a Henckels would generally be worth it, if nothing is wrong with it, in particular? From the picture, it looks like the edge is in very good shape. Perhaps one or two pits elsewhere, but overall, should clean up fairly well, I think. We'll see.

-Mo

Fair point. I am assuming that a Henckels would generally be worth it, if nothing is wrong with it, in particular? From the picture, it looks like the edge is in very good shape. Perhaps one or two pits elsewhere, but overall, should clean up fairly well, I think. We'll see.

-Mo

Mo,
Think of straight razor like cars.... just cause it is a mercedes, or a caddy - doesn't mean it is worth restoring, or putting the $ into it. A beat up ole early 80's Mercedes, while still a mercedes, isn't worth the powder to blow it up with - so while it does have the "mercedes" name, it doesn't necessarily mean it is all that great. Henkels tend to be wonderful shavers, but I have had a few that were wholly worthless, worn down spines, uneven grinds, pitted, tarnished, etc. Just because it carries the "henckels" name, doesn't necessarily mean it will be worth investing another $20 into. It depends on how much you paid for it, how attached to it you are, etc etc - as it may be a prime razor for you to practice honing/stropping/etc on, a "beater" if you will, however - it may very well be a gem, we'd have to see it to tell you.

pictures are always good. we want to see the edge and also the hone wear (near the spine). also if its been honed so much as to change the width of the razor significantly than that will effect the grind. so yes, as joel said there are a few attributes that need considered.

pm me and i'd be happy to hone the razor for you, you pay shipping both ways and ill do it for 10$. if you live in NYC then you can save the shipping cost and ill just meet ya to pick it up.

~Jared

ps. it should be noted that honing from a dull/ebay blade is almost always a couple day process, as you hone the razor then test it, then hone it some more if needed then test it again, then hone another small pyramid if it needs just slightly more keeness to get to shaving sharpness. anyways, my beard can only grow so fast, so 1 test a day :)

Ok, below is a picture of the blade from the auction. Hard to tell how much corrosion is just surface and how much might have more serious damage underneath.

proxy.php

-Mo

After seeing the pictures, if it were me, I'd pass. The spine is all sorts of worn and uneven, and the blade is a bit corroded. It's also a pretty no-frills/plane jane model, so I don't think it would be the best way to spend $20.

You can get a mint razor in shaving condition for around $40-50 - if it were me, i'd do that.

Thanks Joel. Fair enough. If that's the consensus, I'll just hold onto it, and poke around SRP for a shave ready one. Once I start learning how to hone, I'll use this one for practice.

-Mo

Mo,

Check the user Gallery at SRP, look specifically for Lynn. He posted a number of razors last night. Most were $50-55, a few were less.

Randy

Mo,

From the pics it looks ok to me, very salvable. If you want, send it to me I'll do it no charge. Just pay the few bucks shipping both ways. Shouldn't be too much. PM me if interested.

Chris

The real question about that razor is the depth of pitting along the edge. It is hard to tell from the pic. But... if the edge is ok then you can shave with a very good razor for a very small amount of money. It would be a great way to get started.

Just my two cents,:smile:

First, thanks for the offers of help, guys. I would have taken you up on them, but for my recent purchase of a shave ready razor from Joel.

Randy,

I have the razor now. I cannot find visible pitting on the edge, so I suspect it might hone up pretty nicely. When I have some time, and get my hones, I am going to see what I can do with it, as a learning experience.

-Mo

Top Bottom