What's new

Shoe Polish

Lincoln isn't bad. Meltonian (if it still exists). Some shoe companies (like Bostonian) used to have a private label polish - could be Kiwi or another repacked.

I use Meltonian Shoe Cream. It penetrates and conditions the leather, and comes in several colors. It's not going to give the high shine of a wax like Kiwi or Lincoln, but more of a satin-like sheen. You can actually use both.

I bought some Lincoln (black) from a local shoe repair shop after reading glowing posts singing its praises. It's a nice polish no doubt, but it isn't the greatest evah! It's a few coins cheaper than Kiwi, but in a blind test I doubt you could tell the difference. I also use Meltonian, but only for colors other than black or brown. Those are the only alternatives that I have tried.

Just for a clean up, than a burgundy polish that you should be able to find in a shoe store or a cobbler. Look for a private label.

Lincoln isn't bad. Meltonian (if it still exists). Some shoe companies (like Bostonian) used to have a private label polish - could be Kiwi or another repacked.

it does.

I use Meltonian Shoe Cream. It penetrates and conditions the leather, and comes in several colors. It's not going to give the high shine of a wax like Kiwi or Lincoln, but more of a satin-like sheen. You can actually use both.

So do I.

another for meltonian Shoe Cream

+4

You can also look for an oxblood shoe polish also-in a pinch it works well for burgundy shoes.

marty

I'm having a hard time finding a good shoe polish for a pair of Burgundy shoes. Any recommendations?

You shouldn't have to use coloured polish unless you're trying to fill in over a scratch. Neutral is best most of the time.

However... Woly has quite a range of colours in their cream polishes, and I've found it to be quite a nice product. I use the coloured polishes mostly on lighter brown shoes if I'm trying to build up a multi-toned, burnished appearance. I still finish my black shoes with Kiwi Parade Gloss, but I use (black) cream on them now and then for the conditioning properties.

Last edited:
Quick tip.

After a few polishes with black (assuming your shoes are black) use burgundy for one polish.

Black polish only relects blue light, adding burgundy will reflect red light too giving a much, much deeper looking shine.

I used Kiwi for about the first 5 years that I was in the service. Then I discovered Lincoln Wax. Lincoln took the shine of my shoes/boots to a whole new level. Best shine ever!

I've been using Meltonian for my brown shoes and Kiwi for spit shines on blacks. Only thing is I've been getting polish cracking with the Kiwi recently.

When last I visited the cobbler he had many (~50ish) colors of Meltonian polish, if you want to color match you have plenty of options there.

i've used meltonian green on some badly abused hunting boots with good results.i've also used a brand of nuetral from esquire(made in honduras) that did a good job.i've also used some no-name polish made in china with mediocre results.
another alternative is thom mcan leather lube for a medium gloss shine,they also make a silicone liquid shine which is a roll of the dice.i've had it give a moderate shine and i've also had it dull a boot down to a matte finish.

Top Bottom