What's new

Kayaking the back country

I have some PTO (Paid Time Off) saved up and want to get away really bad. We can't afford to go to Europe or anywhere nice right now, so I came up with a brilliant plan. My wife and I are going kayaking. I have always wanted to go somewhere where there are not established camping sites, roads, any traffic. The best prospects seem to be in Michigan. There is a place called Painted Rocks that looks awesome! Unfortunately, we are afraid to attempt something like that on our first go at this. There is a place on Lake Michigan called Nordhouse Dunes that looks safer. I am planning on going in a little over a month.

We have a huge range of interest here, so I thought I would ask your advice. I have been researching some information on paddling.net. But how about you guys? I am open to any advice. Equipment, packing, technique, even locations. This is pretty new to me so I thank you in advance for your advice.

I used to sea kayak in a Klepper , great fun.

Did some back country tidal swamp canals also using topographical maps as guides and I suggest you get a few of those if you are going off the beaten path.

I have a Nautiraid--a folder kind of like a Klepper--and I love it. If you have an REI near you, stop in and pick up a guide to sea kayaking and have a look. If you think that it still sounds like fun, you'll never regret taking a class (together). Also, find a friendly and knowledgeable outfitter--great source of experience and information.

Whether you decide to rent or to buy, get out and practice before beginning a trip. Improve your techniques and learn how your kayak handles. Also practice packing and work out your logistics. You don't want to be trying to right a capsized kayak for the first time on a choppy lake, and you don't want to be out of water on an isolated beach.

Make sure you plan carefully. Again, there's lots of good advice to be had.

Finally, have fun. That's the best reason to prepare--so that you can fully enjoy the moment.

I'll look for some better references and post them later.

If you want to partake in nature at it's most raw, head down to the deep, mysterious swamps of south Louisiana. Remember to bring some chicken parts to throw at the alligators if they start to chase you. They's hungry! :biggrin:

If you want to partake in nature at it's most raw, head down to the deep, mysterious swamps of south Louisiana. Remember to bring some chicken parts to throw at the alligators if they start to chase you. They's hungry! :biggrin:

I might have to do that one without TWGW. :lol:

As an outdoorsmen I will give you this advice. For your first trip do something a little more established. Even if your experienced in the woods/water, doing something new will present unique challenges and you will come across things you didn't consider. You're learning a new skill. Getting lost or stranded is can be very easy. Some tips,

1. Check www.REI.com. They have great tips and checklists.
2. Know how to use a map and compass (never solely rely on a GPS) and have some basic survival gear.
3. Start with some short day excursions so you can get used to the kayak and how it operates.

I'm not try to scare you or rain on your parade. Being in the outdoors and self reliant is incredible. I just wouldn't recommend the sink or swim approach.

I know it will be different out there. I own two kayaks but have never been on that rough of water. I haven't figured out my camera yet, either. I have a dive housing for my Olympus P&S. My Canon, however will have to well cared for and I don't have a dry box that big.

It may be more for canoes than kayaks but Voyageurs' National Park on the Minnesota/Ontario border is some beautiful country as is the surrounding area.

I kayak regularly and I live in the south. As for the alligators chasing you, I've never had it happen, but if you throw food at them, they will come to you wanting more. I've had a couple come begging but they left when they saw there was no food to be had.

Take a basic kayaking course. They're fun and invaluable.

For gear and all, what I take to kayak is between what I take to tent camp out of the car and backpack on a trail.

Let me know about your trip. I may want to venture up to the north for a trip sometime.

It has been a good while since I did any canoeing but you should be able to find river ratings on degree of difficulty, and ratings of rapids and so forth...find something you are comfortable with!

There's some good advice in this thread but I would just like to stress the importance of dressing appropriately. If you get cold the last thing you want to do is to try to build a fire in the boat. Because everyone knows

you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

There's some good advice in this thread but I would just like to stress the importance of dressing appropriately. If you get cold the last thing you want to do is to try to build a fire in the boat. Because everyone knows

you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

This is so funny. Especially because my wife's Maiden initials were KAK, hence the nickname Cake. I will let you fill in the jokes from there. :lol:

Check out the 7 point river in easter MO. Went whitewater canoeing there a few years ago. Had a great time.

There are outfitters who provide the canoes and will drive you 50 - 100 miles upstream from where you parked the car. All you have to do is float back to civilization.

Well, I believe our destination is set. We are planning on going to Laurel River Lake in the Boone National Forest in Kentucky. It looks like a great place and I might even get to go scuba diving. We'll see. Now, I have to focus on equipment. My camping gear wasn't really for this sort of thing. What gear do you guys consider essential? Also, what meats can I pack that will be okay without refrigeration? I know we need protein, but you can't fit a cooled in my kayak either.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Have fun. I'll have your new avatar ready when you return.
proxy.php

Top Bottom