What's new

The Tom Collins -- B&B Classic Cocktails

With the permission of our resident cocktail expert CastleCraver I will now present the next installment of B&B Classic Cocktails. Today we do another summer classic: the Tom Collins, also sometimes referred to as a Gin Fizz. As with most cocktail terms there is some controversy here, with purists believing that a Tom Collins is a Gin Fizz made with Old Tom Gin. Whatever your preferred nomenclature though, the drink is a classic refreshing drink, wonderful for cooling down on a warm afternoon.

Essentially this drink is making fresh lemonade and substituting gin for water in cutting to to drinking strength.

The required ingredients are pictured below:

proxy.php

Software:
Gin
Fresh Lemons
Sugar Syrup (powdered sugar can be substituted)
Club Soda
Ice

Hardware:
Cocktail shaker
Collins Glass (a tall, straight sided glass about 12oz)
Juicer (optional)

proxy.php

First add ice to your Collins glass and shaker.

proxy.php

Next, you want to measure 2 oz gin.

proxy.php

Now, cut and juice your lemons. For a single drink a half lemon gives you the right amount.

proxy.php

Add an ounce of lemon juice to your shaker.

proxy.php

Now add your simple syrup. A half ounce is a good place to start, and adjust to taste. I was a bit overzealous with my pour and ended up with a full ounce. This is going to be a bit sweeter than I normally like them.

proxy.php

Add that mixture to your shaker and shake well.

proxy.php

Strain into your ice-filled Collins glass.

proxy.php

Top off with club soda and stir gently. Proper garnish is a maraschino cherry, but I don't have any and don't particularly like them. So I usually go without garnish. A wedge of lemon is also acceptable.

proxy.php

Enjoy!

Gosh this looks good. I haven't had a Tom Collins in ages. I think this could be my summer drink for this year! Thanks!

My opinion - I wouldn't use powdered sugar, as it contains starch which will probably leave clumps. If you don't have 5 minutes to make syrup, I'd use 2 tsp sugar, 1/2 ounce water, 1 ounce lemon, shake the hell out of it, strain over fresh ice and add soda.

Excellent job. A crisp, tasty summertime drink. And certainly something everyone can adjust to their tastes. Premade sour mix is a good idea if you're going to be serving a variety of drinks over the course of a weekend -- combine 1:1 lemon juice and simple syrup and mix very well. You should also strain out the lemon pulp if you have a little extra time -- and then you can use it for Collins' and sours (a Tom Collins is actually a more-or-less standard "Gin sour").

Since I don't have any syrup made, but do have powdered sugar, could you explain the proper way to substitute with the powdered sugar.

Just add the desired amount of sugar to your liquids (I'd start with about a teaspoon and adjust to taste) and shake the hell out of it. Powdered sugar should dissolve easier in cold liquids than regular and the undissolved powdered sugar won't be grainy in the bottom of your glass like granulated sugar. It just occurred to me that you could substitute honey too. Obviously that'll give additional flavors, but it sounds like a good combo to me, especially if you used something like an orange flower honey.

Anyway, syrup gives you a much easier to make and more consistent drink, so I recommend keeping some on hand. It keeps fine in the fridge. And if you run out it only takes a few minutes to make.

Great post. I love these cocktail posts. Haven't had a T.C. since last summer. Excellent EXCELLENT hot weather cooler.

Maybe some light corn syrup and a shake of powdered sugar? I know the corn syrup isn't quite as sweet as simple sugar syrup, so maybe the dash of powder would help it along.

Light agave syrup (available at Whole Foods or any other frou-frou/hippy place) makes a nice sub for simple syrup, dissolves in cold liquids, and has the major advantage of being shelf stable for months and months after opening (which can be a problem with simple syrup as everyone who's had to toss cloudy bottles from the fridge can attest!)

This very well could be considered heresy from some folks here, but if you are worried about not having any simple syrup, you can use sprite/7up in lieu of the club soda. Not only will it sweeten the beverage, but it also adds just a bit of citrus flavor as well.

Light agave syrup (available at Whole Foods or any other frou-frou/hippy place) makes a nice sub for simple syrup, dissolves in cold liquids, and has the major advantage of being shelf stable for months and months after opening (which can be a problem with simple syrup as everyone who's had to toss cloudy bottles from the fridge can attest!)

How is the taste?

Since I don't have any syrup made, but do have powdered sugar, could you explain the proper way to substitute with the powdered sugar.

Don't use powdered sugar- it's made with some cornstarch added, like others have said. This may cause it to clump up, but it will definitely make your drink cloudy and possibly make it taste funny too.

If you can get hold of it, use superfine sugar (Imperial markets a "Superfine Sugar Shaker- especially for iced tea" that's yellow and red). You get the quick dissolving action of the syrup, with the shelf life of granulated sugar.

Top Bottom