What's new

Spaghetti: Comfort Food or Not?

Is spaghetti a comfort food?

• Spaghetti is indeed a comfort food.

• Spaghetti is absolutely not a comfort food.

• Spaghetti is whatever Art says it is.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I had a debate with a friend of mine yesterday evening that spaghetti is indeed comfort food in the same vein as fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, meatloaf and mashed potatoes. He said that because it isn't because it's not technically in the same class as "American" comfort foods, which I disagree with. I thought this would be an interesting question to pose to the forum.

I had a debate with a friend of mine yesterday evening that spaghetti is indeed comfort food in the same vein as fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, meatloaf and mashed potatoes. He said that because it isn't because it's not technically in the same class as "American" comfort foods, which I disagree with. I thought this would be an interesting question to pose to the forum.

Most definitely a comfort food, but only if mom or grandma makes the gravy.

I always assumed comfort food varied from person to person. For some people I'm sure it is comfort food, for me, it's just a quick meal.

Spaghetti, in and of itself isn't comfort food. It must have some type of sauce to transform it from tasteless pale pasta into comfort food. (Red clam sauce is my sauce of choice).

I always assumed comfort food varied from person to person. For some people I'm sure it is comfort food, for me, it's just a quick meal.

+1. My comfort foods vary drastically from my wife's. Me: meatloaf, Her: hot rice porridge w/ dried fish flakes sprinkled on top. There is also a cultural aspect in my opinion.

Spaghetti is one of the strange compromises I've made in living with my girlfriend...
She doesn't like cooked tomato and she hates spaghetti, the shape of the noodles, fettuccine and linguine are fine, but spaghetti is a no go... :001_rolle

Luckily her mom makes a mean spaghetti and meat sauce, and I get extras because I appreciate it and am deprived at home.

I'd say pasta in general is comfort food.

spaghetti, while one of my favorite foods, i would not class as a comfort food. then again i do not find mac'n cheese to be a comfort food either (as i never cared for it).

I was always led to believe any food high in carbs/fat is 'comfort' food or 'happy' food because it makes you feel good, satisfied, and drowses you out.

A good amount of fat, savory flavor, and high carbohydrate content make it the definition of comfort food.

Any food can be a comfort food. I really hate spaghetti but the whole point of comfort food is that it is very personal.

A food has to have high fat content to be comfort food. If you add a rich fatty sauce to pasta then yes like macaroni and cheese. pasta with tomato sauce, no.

This poll isn't complex enough to do justice to spaghetti. Spaghetti ranges from comfort food to great culinary event and much farther. So, I guess my answer would be Yes and No.

Any food can be comfort food. It's anything that reminds you of happy and carefree times. Usually it's something from childhood. So, as others have posted before, each person will have something personal that would be considered comfort food, and no one should be able to argue with them.

Any food can be comfort food. It's anything that reminds you of happy and carefree times. Usually it's something from childhood. So, as others have posted before, each person will have something personal that would be considered comfort food, and no one should be able to argue with them.

+1. It's not like there is an international standard as to what can be considered "comfort food".

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Your friend is nuts; you are nuts (for thinking you can get comfort from meatloaf and mashed potatoes); I am nuts for thinking you can't get comfort from meatloaf and mashed potatoes; Chip is just plain nuts; nuts are comfort food if served with good port or madeira.

I'm Sorry!..if this aint good old home cookin,stick to yer ribs w/meatballs n fresh garlic bread..one a month splurge I dont know what is!

:c1:

Top Bottom