What's new

Need some help choosing from my final choices (T&H/Shavemac/Rooney)

Long story short.......

I recently purchased a C&E SBB which I really did like as far as softness goes, but it was just too large for my face. As of right now (which is subject to change with AD's as we all know), I'm a cream man and do not use soaps. I'm also interested in switching to face lathering with creams so I'm looking for a very soft brush (not interested really in ones that are known for exfoliation). I have narrowed down the choices to a few contenders (I am up for more choices, but dont want to end up expanding my choices in to never never land) in the $50-$100 range (new or used).....

Rooney 3/1 ($65.00 used) - this is being offered by a gentleman I have done business with in the past here so I'm leaning towards this quality brush

T&H Silvertip Style 1 47mmX48mm ($89.00 new from the T&H site so with the B&B discount it would be around $70.00) - I love the idea of a silvertip and this looks to be in the right size that I'm looking for (approx size of my old C&E BBB)

T&H Regency Super 4" ($69.00 new from T&H and around $55.00 with the B&B discount)

Shavemac 23mm Silvertip (on sale for $87.30 from WestCoastShaving) - this would be the most expensive brush on my list, but from what I read, a great deal considering the quality and softness

To recap, my requirements in order of importance....

1) Softness yet dense. I want a gentle feel on my face, but not interested in a floppy brush or one that rolls over and plays dead when it hits my face

2) Medium size. Def dont want anything as large as my old C&E SBB, but not teeny tiny either.

3) Quality. Enough said.

I have a Shavemac and a Rooney. The Shavemac doesn't get much use.
My vote is Rooney. You'll love it.

I don't know the T&H brushes so can't comment on htem. I have owned the Shavemac 177 and own a Rooney (Stubby 2) and think that the Rooney will be stiffer. The 23mm Shavemac, while exceptionally soft, will not be quite as stiff.

Both are fine brushes so you can't go wrong either way. There are days I miss the Shavemac, so getting both should be an option as well. :biggrin:

I'm leaning towards a Shavemac Silvertip, particularly this model:
havemac 177, Handmade, Silvertip Badger - 23 mm - Faux Ebony

SM-S-302 - The Shavemac 177 in faux Ebony is a handmade brush with a lathe turned handle. It is made of 100% Silvertip Badger.

Overall brush height: 109mm
Handle height: 49mm
Brush loft: 60mm
Knot diameter: 23mm

Handmade in Germany.
Market price: $114.99
Our price: $69.99 save 39%

(from Vintage Blades)

Thoughts, gentleman???

Cammy,

I hope you jumped on this and you are the reason that Jim is now out of stock on this brush. Best of luck in the decision. Between the Rooney and the Shavemac you really are in for a treat.

I say go Rooney.

That C&E Super is a monster, isn't it? I love mine, but I have a lot of real estate to cover.

I own a Shavemac 177. I bought it from Vintage last. I payed full price.
The discount currently offered is quite appealing. i plan to buy another as a gift. I have never used a Rooney but I have read good reviews.

The 23mm is out of stock, but it looks like the 25mm is still available for only $5.00 more. It's between your brush and this one....might have to resort to a coin toss on this one!

Cammy,

I hope you jumped on this and you are the reason that Jim is now out of stock on this brush. Best of luck in the decision. Between the Rooney and the Shavemac you really are in for a treat.

The 23mm is out of stock, but it looks like the 25mm is still available for only $5.00 more. It's between your brush and this one....might have to resort to a coin toss on this one!
I actually picked up one of these as a second brush, as I don't want to use my Stubby 2 every day. The 23mm Shavemac does not have a lot of backbone, anyway.

Top Bottom