What's new

A Closer Shave - The History Channel

Just watched the show. Very well put together. Lots of stuff about the history of shaving, from straights to DEs to cartridge razors to electrics. Also some good scientific stuff about the structure of beard hair and how shaving creams work. It's going to be on again Monday evening.

I don't see it on my History Channel, but I do see it listed at 4:00 PM on Monday on the National Geographic Channel.

Someone of SMF posted it online. I watched it last night. One thing that struck me was every time they showed someone shaving (invariably with a Mach 3 or similar), they seemed to be really using an immense amount of presssure. I can't imagine shaving that way now that I've got DE religion.

Is this thread on the same thing?

I have a few other random thoughts on the video I said I'd post.

The thoughts are on how cartridge shaving ONLY seems to save time, and works on the exact principles we use for DE shaving every day.

1. They say and show video proof of the 4th blade of a Schick Quattro catching a hair that the 3 previous blades missed. Nothing you can't do with a DE. That is one reason we do multiple passes. Although part of multiple passes.

• Pressure. They talk a lot about skin flow and pressure between the blades. One of the reasons for the 5 blades spaced closer together on the Fusion is to eliminate pressure. Once again, with a DE, you are only supposed to use the pressure the razor creates. I think that anyone who uses a DE knows they get much less irritation if they use less pressure.

It seems to me that instead of putting so much money and secrecy into R&D, they should go back to the basics and figure out exactly what makes all of us want to switch back to a DE single blade razor.

I think I had some other things, but I'll have to watch it again.

If that was the same video posted earlier, I was entertained. Lots of interesting stuff and the testing used by Schick and Gillette is just crazy.

I agree with Ed, the "modern" razors just allow people to do what we do with little to no effort. When I was old enough to shave, my dad didn't show me how he just handed me a razor and some goo and was like "have at it." I had to reinvent the wheel - and of course I was doing it wrong. That's why everyone shaves differently, there is no more technique involved with modern shaving. There is much more congruity with the way we shave than a random sampling of gillette fusion users because we essentially pass down the shaving techniques like fathers from generations before.

Yea Matt, I agree

My dad never really taught me much either. He was shaving with an electric at the time though, so there wasnt really anything for him to teach. My grandfather even tried very hard to get me onto electric shavers. I still perfered the M3 and Barbosol over an electric.

It's funny, my dad bought me an electric and said that I should always use the electric because if I ever used a cartridge razor I would have a hard time going back because the blade gets closer, but he said the blade is more of a pain to shave with. Thus use the electric he bought and always shave electric. And now here I am... So much for dad's advice!

Yea Matt, I agree

My dad never really taught me much either. He was shaving with an electric at the time though, so there wasnt really anything for him to teach. My grandfather even tried very hard to get me onto electric shavers. I still perfered the M3 and Barbosol over an electric.

It was different for me. Dad was at war when Mom decided that it was time for me to shave, so he initially taught me by mail. Even when I got the letter I was still reluctant because I really Dad to be there for the first shave. It wasn't meant to be, it was Mom who was there instead. I had to wait several months for Dad to return so that he could show me in person.

Yes, I did cut myself that first time with the double edge.

Top Bottom