What's new

Got a gig! Which A/S to wear??

Which Aftershave to wear (just for fun)

• Pinaud Clubman

• Nivea Aftershave Balm

• Master Bay Rum

• Old Spice clone (Family Dollar)

• Pinaud Bay Rum (don't have it but can get it)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Got my first gig with my blues/folk band this Saturday - first time playing out since the kids were born... so of course, my first thought was which aftershave to wear... so here goes...

Whichever is the winner by Saturday afternoon, I'll wear to the gig :)

Last edited:
Whenever i have a gig with my ceilidh band, it's a good, effective deodorant that's needed rather than after shave.

It gets hot and sweaty at a ceilidh dance. In fact the punters aren't happy unless they get hot and sweaty! I needed a long shower after Sunday's ceilidh at a folk festival we did. Well, that and four pints of best in the bar afterwards.

Gareth

I'd go clubman, too.
Won't matter if you do it right, though. We have a saying in our little blues community: If you ain't sweatin', you ain't playin' hard enough!

Got my first gig with my blues/folk band this Saturday - first time playing out since the kids were born... so of course, my first thought was which aftershave to wear... so here goes...

Whichever is the winner by Saturday afternoon, I'll wear to the gig :)

You actually have an underlying excellent question there. We can tell by the two surviving photos that Robert Johnson was a sharp-dressed man. What would a juke joint blues man, in say the early 1930s, one with a reputation for liking the womean, wear for AS to a gig?

You say "folk" and blues? I am guessing that Woody Guthrie was a Clubman or bay rum kind of guy. Bob Dylan, maybe more English Leather. Or maybe Brut, after he got some money. Or what would a Beatle or Rolling Stones wear in the earlier days? Later, patchouli, or some such thing, and it there probably would not have been much shaving associated with it.

I went with the Clubman as well. My first suggestion would have been (now stay with me here) shave with Williams and follow with a big, all over slash of Lilac Vegetal BECAUSE.... The first thought I had when I read "blues/folk" was the duo of Sonny Terry and Brownie Mcghee, who had a small part in the Steve Martin movie "The Jerk", where Martin's onscreen brother (played by Dick Anthony WILLIAMS) gave him a gift of "A whole half bottle of Lilac Vegetal":lol:

Ok, all that wasn't exactly my FIRST thought, but you have to give me a little credit for having a story:rolleyes: Don't forget to start the show with a Tab and a couple of Twinkies:biggrin:

As far as the show goes, good luck no matter what you wear. It's been almost 2 years since I was on stage, I sure do miss it:frown: Don't let the whiskey and wimmen get ya' down!

You actually have an underlying excellent question there. We can tell by the two surviving photos that Robert Johnson was a sharp-dressed man. What would a juke joint blues man, in say the early 1930s, one with a reputation for liking the womean, wear for AS to a gig?

You say "folk" and blues? I am guessing that Woody Guthrie was a Clubman or bay rum kind of guy. Bob Dylan, maybe more English Leather. Or maybe Brut, after he got some money. Or what would a Beatle or Rolling Stones wear in the earlier days? Later, patchouli, or some such thing, and it there probably would not have been much shaving associated with it.

Thought of three possiblities that Robert Johnson might have worn: Florida Water, Kananga Water, and Hoyt's Cologne.

Forgot to mention - after the gig (afternoon) my wife and I are going on a "Haunted Tour Of Savannah Pubs" which (to me) makes the Clubman even MORE of an appropriate choice!!!

Whenever i have a gig with my ceilidh band, it's a good, effective deodorant that's needed rather than after shave.

+1. That was my 1st thought.

Whenever I gig I find that I'm more concerned with not smelling bad during-and-afterwards than anything else. My advice would be to go with a lightly-scented product. You're gonna be workin' it onstage -- might as well know you'll be feeling good about your lack of post-gig stankies when you're hugging your wife afterwards. :biggrin:

I went with the Clubman as well. My first suggestion would have been (now stay with me here) shave with Williams and follow with a big, all over slash of Lilac Vegetal BECAUSE.... The first thought I had when I read "blues/folk" was the duo of Sonny Terry and Brownie Mcghee, who had a small part in the Steve Martin movie "The Jerk", where Martin's onscreen brother (played by Dick Anthony WILLIAMS) gave him a gift of "A whole half bottle of Lilac Vegetal":lol:

Ok, all that wasn't exactly my FIRST thought, but you have to give me a little credit for having a story:rolleyes: Don't forget to start the show with a Tab and a couple of Twinkies:biggrin:

As far as the show goes, good luck no matter what you wear. It's been almost 2 years since I was on stage, I sure do miss it:frown: Don't let the whiskey and wimmen get ya' down!

That is a GREAT post! If I were you, I'd go out and buy the Lilac Vegetal.

I generally don't shave right before a gig, and I usually sweat like a pig on stage, so it wouldn't matter much what AS I put on even if I did.

However, all else being equal, I would go with the Bay Rum. Perhaps not the most popular choice, but it is the only one that actually has a groove. Go with it, mon! :cool2:

:a5:

Top Bottom