What's new

Anyone else have tool addiction?

Got bummed out this a.m. when I opened my e-mail and realized I missed a Sears friends and family event. Especially since I had some stuff in mind that I wanted to buy( think gear wrench, a combination of tools that I already have but so much cooler when put together). Anyways was wondering who else drools over the Sears sales ad on Sunday a.m. or gets crazy thoughts like hi-jacking a Snap-On truck.

I buy a fair bit, but it's normally out of necessity as I'm a tradie. Trade tools are pricey, so the novelty of buying cool stuff I have no need for has worn off a long time ago though.
That being said, I bought a 12Vdc air compressor and digital tyre gauge today though so I can deflate/inflate my tyres when going off road :) .
I bought a Li-Ion 18V drill to replace my 11 year old NiCd 9V drill last week too.

But I have a lot of hand tools, two sets, one for home and one for work, and I have a large budget tor replace broken or lost tools every year, but I'm not big on buying gadgets or electrical stuff I don't need anymore as spending $1K a year on necessities is enough.

My dad seems to go by the motto "It's better to have 3 identical tools that you don't need than not have one that you do need" as well as "it's on sale, you never know, I may need it for something sometime"

This has worked out very well for me since I moved out :)

I am have a huge collection. I always thought my Grandpa had every tool you could need. Now, he doesn't have half the tools I do. My wife and I agreed I would do the work but I got to buy any tools I needed. I used to get at least one tool for every project. I haven't bought any in quite a while. :frown: I am ashamed to admit I even have tools I've never used. :blush:

"I am ashamed to admit I even have tools I've never used"

Not me if I buy a tool, I'll find a reason to use it. This often leads to overkill. Bought a small air compressor last week or so, and have been using it to blow the dust out of everything since:biggrin:

Not me if I buy a tool, I'll find a reason to use it. This often leads to overkill. Bought a small air compressor last week or so, and have been using it to blow the dust out of everything since:biggrin:
That's not overkill, that's creatively approaching a serious problem. I mean look how much time you save by dusting this way... :wink:

I just buy tools I need, but I need need a lot. Or so I tell myself. :blush:

This brings up a question I had: What do you guys think of Harbor Freight?

I've always bought Craftsman and I've always bought my tools at Sears (or if it was an automotive tool that they didn't cary, I'd find it at NAPA or somewhere like that) but ours has closed. This weekend we were up in Columbia so I stopped at the Harbor Frieght to pick up a few things that I was needing (and a few things I wasn't...) when I saw they had a flux core welder on sale and I had been wanting to pick up a MIG welder for years. I tried to call my old man (Iron Worker, slated as the best welder from Pittsburg to Louisville) to ask about it but couldn't get ahold of him, so I called my cousin in Cincy since he's a pipe fitter to ask him. As soon as I told him I was in Harbor Freight he said "Don't buy it". I don't know if he was referring specifically to the welders, or all their tools, but he said 'I see people break Harbor Freight junk all the time'.

So what do you guys think of HF tools? What about Northern Tools? They have a store up there,too, right past HF.

If neither of them, where would you get your tools if Sears wasn't an option?

This brings up a question I had: What do you guys think of Harbor Freight?

I've always bought Craftsman and I've always bought my tools at Sears (or if it was an automotive tool that they didn't cary, I'd find it at NAPA or somewhere like that) but ours has closed. This weekend we were up in Columbia so I stopped at the Harbor Frieght to pick up a few things that I was needing (and a few things I wasn't...) when I saw they had a flux core welder on sale and I had been wanting to pick up a MIG welder for years. I tried to call my old man (Iron Worker, slated as the best welder from Pittsburg to Louisville) to ask about it but couldn't get ahold of him, so I called my cousin in Cincy since he's a pipe fitter to ask him. As soon as I told him I was in Harbor Freight he said "Don't buy it". I don't know if he was referring specifically to the welders, or all their tools, but he said 'I see people break Harbor Freight junk all the time'.

So what do you guys think of HF tools? What about Northern Tools? They have a store up there,too, right past HF.

If neither of them, where would you get your tools if Sears wasn't an option?

I have bought tools from HF with no problems. I have heard complaints that their tools were cheap chinese knockoffs. I never experienced this problem.

A lot of their stuff is cheap chinese junk, but for non-critical items, i.e. magnetic parts bowl, or dead blow hammer etc. I wouldn't sweat this fact. Wrenches that may round off bolts, punches and chisels that may fracture and blind you, or tools that just generally cannot get the job done are to be avoided, and bought from Sears, aka the Oasis( for me at least, not a pro-mechanic on civilian side). Good designs, great no-hassle warranty, and they get the job done well. As for Harbor Freight's welders etc. they are usually made by someone else, so make sure the brand you are buying is a good one, then worry about the price. A lot cheaper to buy a more expensive item once , then a cheap one often times.

Harbor Freight tools all depend on the tool and your use of said tool. How often are you going to use a welder. If it is once every year or two, HF isn't bad. If it is going to be once a week, you may want something a little more expensive. I shy away from their electric hand tools, drills saws, etc. I had a miter saw from them that lasted a while, but died early. I used this quite a bit. I bought an angle grinder there and used it for the afternoon. By the end of the day, the bearings were shot and it wobbled all over the place. I took it back without any problems. I used it a lot that day, but thought it should have lasted a little longer. Things like sandblaster cabinets, air tools, and parts washers I think are fairly safe.

My TAD (Tool Acquisition Disorder) is somewhat under control. I only purchase new tools when I need them to do a job. But I tend to come up with jobs needing new tools.

My TAD (Tool Acquisition Disorder) is somewhat under control. I only purchase new tools when I need them to do a job. But I tend to come up with jobs needing new tools.

My big problem is, all the tools I "need" are pretty expensive anymore. I need a miter saw really bad. I am planning on building a shelve for my shave den but really need a miter saw for it. Unemployed wife=no tools. :frown:

Ugh. I do, but it's mostly in remission now that I have nearly everything a guy could possibly need without having an automotive lift or a full set of staging. I have a philosophy. If I can buy a tool for roughly what I might spend to rent it for the weekend, then I'm going to buy it...of course, everything is $500/wknd in my mind:biggrin:

At this stage of my life, I have nearly a full mechanic's set in two roll-away boxes, and enough carpentry/masonry supplies to start a small contracting company. Once, I even used some of the stuff.

Top Bottom