What's new

Feathers - Maybe too darned sharp!?!?

I've been using an HD for the last 5 months and I had pretty much settled on 7 O'Clock Yellows and Astras as my blades of choice. I get excellent shaves and haven't had burn or irritation for a long time as my technique has improved.

I miscalculated and ran out of both of my go-to blades so my stock choices were some of the Dorco's left from my blade sampler or the Feathers.

I used a Feather before - but I think I was too careful/paranoid when I did so I didn't get as good a shave as I could have.

Anyway I chose the Feather and the shave was nice...very nice. But I was off by a milimeter and almost took the right side of my mustache off!!! My mustache looked like I used the lowest setting on my clippers!.

Maybe a little too sharp? I'm going to finish up two more shaves with this blade but jeez - that's sharp!!!! :w00t:

~Paul

I've never tried Feathers, but I'm always interested in reading people's responses to them...

It's great your recent shave with them was so nice--It means your technique must be improving a lot! :biggrin:

Feathers never worked for me, they just seemed to irritate my face too much. Tho I suspect I will give them another go at some point.

Astra Plats and Gillette Yellows are both excellent alternatives.

Stockpiling blades is one way to guarantee you will never run out. :tongue_sm

Feathers aren't for everyone. It depends what razor you're using them in. I get great results in them with my fat handled tech but they were too aggressive in my 39c slant. YMMV.

I just had my first feather shave today in my 34c, and it was amazing. I was careful, but not fearful. Had the best shave of my life with less irritation than my red pack personna shave yesterday that wasn't as smooth. I think I may have found my blade

Anyway I chose the Feather and the shave was nice...very nice. But I was off by a milimeter and almost took the right side of my mustache off!!! My mustache looked like I used the lowest setting on my clippers!.

You have a mustache that you haven't shaved off yet?!?!?

:eek:

I try using Feathers every now and then (have not tried in about a year) but each time I do I have some problem. And I am reminded that sharpness isn't everything - it REALLY isn't. I get awesome shaves with any one of several Merkurs (usually the HD or 38C, but others too) and a Derby blade.

To me Feathers are a novelty, and they're just not necessary.

I don't think they are too sharp but I simply do not think their quality justifies the price. Blades which work as well for me can be had for much less money. Still, many here find them their favorites so I guess they think them worth the money.

I think the feather may have been trying to give him a subliminal message.

At this rate...I won't have much of a mustache or goatee left! If I lost them, I may have to sleep on the couch until they grow back - the wife prefers me with them.

There's still plenty of face left to shave - and I need to take off that 1/4 inch under my nose to thin out the 'stache and then on the sides below my lip to give the goatee definition.

It's a DE obstacle course and I haven't given in to the temptation to shaving that part of my face with a cartridge razor. I'm DE all the way!
:biggrin:

~Paul

to me they are a bit harsh... I just got my shipment of various 7 clocks yesterday and I tell you so far I have never found such a sharp, smooth like the yellow pack... I actually feel that they are sharper than Feathers

I shave with a Tech and am too much of a beginner to feather just yet, but I'm looking forward to the day. Right now I'm using Derby Extras that I've been palm stropping. I'm practicing, though, until the big feather day comes. I have a goatee too, hate it when I chop it by accident and it looks all funky and crooked. I feel your pain.

Top Bottom