What's new

Nakayama Kiita Stones

You can put them around your house as art pieces.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Any chance you can tell us more about those? In particular, how would razors react to them?

Would you happen to know anything more about the Iyo Meshima Arinoki stones you have pictured (starting with the right hand picture in the second pair of photos,) I was going to buy one of these sometime ago, mainly because of the figuring, but was advised that they were a rough grit stone, although I'm willing to concede this may have been an error in translation between myself and the seller.

Regards,
Stew

Would you happen to know anything more about the Iyo Meshima Arinoki stones you have pictured (starting with the right hand picture in the second pair of photos,) I was going to buy one of these sometime ago, mainly because of the figuring, but was advised that they were a rough grit stone, although I'm willing to concede this may have been an error in translation between myself and the seller.

Regards,
Stew

I do not. I can ask the dealer but it'll be a while. I'm already dealing with a lot right now with the Kiita stones.

I do not. I can ask the dealer but it'll be a while. I'm already dealing with a lot right now with the Kiita stones.

Thankyou very much, there's certainly no rush. It must be at least 2 years since I first saw one of these stones, and I was immediately captivated by it's figuring ( I believe in some circles it is what is known as wood-grain figuring.) Trouble is, I really don't like the idea of having something just to look at, and was put off by the possibility of it being a rough grit stone. I really don't like low-grit natural stones, but I have never forgotten about this particular type of stone.

Kindest regards
Stew

I have 14 people on my list of interested parties. That's all I can handle. I have to get a specific stone for each person and that takes considerable effort on my part. It also takes considerable patience on the dealer's part to converse back and forth for 14 separate stones. Obviously, I'm not his only business and he works our emails into his schedule but sometimes it takes him a few days to reply. That means this process can ultimately take a few weeks or longer to complete. Most Japanese sellers do not deal with foreigners at all. The fact that he's even willing to ship to the US is a coup.

I'm still waiting for the second trial stone to verify quality and value. From there, I'll contact each person separately and get the ball rolling. Regards.

Sounds perfect!!!

I've just bought my first nakayama kiita stone and Im very glad to be on the list for my second. :smile:

I just got my stone from Telly. I was extremely surprised at the edge I got from it.

My normal procedure is shaptons up to 8000 grit and then I go with 1.0 diamond paste followed by 0.5 diamond paste. With each step there is an expected increase in sharpness. With the kiita stone it was noticably sharper than the 0.5 diamond paste; almost like two jumps of progression. Because Telly said it was a slow stone, I put 30 laps on it and tried a test drive.

The shave off the kiita is very smooth. The downside is that I have to learn how to shave with something this sharp. I usually ding myself every once every few months. With the kiita, I dinged myself four times in one week.

My review of this stone is that it makes my razor very comfortable to shave on and the sharpest it has ever been. It feels nice while honing with good feedback. The grit size is definitely higher than #30,000. Be prepared for a surprise in how sharp your blades get. This last comment is not a recommendation but a warning.

I just got my stone from Telly. I was extremely surprised at the edge I got from it.

My normal procedure is shaptons up to 8000 grit and then I go with 1.0 diamond paste followed by 0.5 diamond paste. With each step there is an expected increase in sharpness. With the kiita stone it was noticably sharper than the 0.5 diamond paste; almost like two jumps of progression. Because Telly said it was a slow stone, I put 30 laps on it and tried a test drive.

The shave off the kiita is very smooth. The downside is that I have to learn how to shave with something this sharp. I usually ding myself every once every few months. With the kiita, I dinged myself four times in one week.

My review of this stone is that it makes my razor very comfortable to shave on and the sharpest it has ever been. It feels nice while honing with good feedback. The grit size is definitely higher than #30,000. Be prepared for a surprise in how sharp your blades get. This last comment is not a recommendation but a warning.
So is this a positive or negative review? :lol:

This is a positive review of the Nakayama but a negative review of my shaving skills. My blade is too sharp for me right now but in another week or so I will have it dialed in. I guess it is fitting to have a Japanese stone causing me to have toilet paper Japanese flags on my face.

Those of you that got in on this deal will be very satisfied. Those of you that passed it up missed a great opportunity. I have been using a straight for over twenty years and this is the sharpest my blade has ever been.

For the naysayers that say you can't tell the difference in sharpness once you get to #30,000 I have one word for you: WRONG!!!!

That's good to know. The funny thing is that it was a trial stone. Before I make any official group buys, I still have some tinkering to do. Nothing is set in stone yet.

I wholly agree. They produce very smooth edges, provide nice feedback and sharpen quickly. Before using a Kiita, I would almost always finish on diamond pastes. Not necessary with one of these.

Last edited:
Interesting thread on SRP about using pastes after a Nakayama to smooth out the super-sharp edge it creates:

http://www.straightrazorplace.com/f...ama-paste-not-paste-mini-nakayama-review.html
I don't think the Nakayama edge needs improvement. Diamond pastes are known for being sharp but harsh. Chromium oxide is known for being smooth but not sharp enough. Nakayama stones are very sharp and very smooth. Proper stropping is all you should need afterward. I've found a strop with lighter draw to be best, something like horsehide, shell, or SRD Premium I.

Last edited:
Top Bottom