What's new

Review: Muhle R41 Open Comb (2009)

Hi, Gents,

I just posted this over on ShaveMyFace and thought it might be of interest over here as well. Regards, Doug.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Muhle R41 (2009): Shines When Used Carefully
proxy.php

Pros:
- Capable of smooth, close shaves
- Beautiful design
- Quality fit & finish

Cons:
- Demands close attention to technique
- Prone to weepers
- Somewhat head heavy
- “Waxy” feeling handle

Observations:
- Blade choice made a significant difference
- Performed better than Merkur HD (34C) around mouth and chin, not as well on cheeks and neck due to weepers and razor burn

Recommended for:
- Shavers eager to satisfy their open-comb curiosity
- Shavers familiar with good basic DE technique

Not recommended for:
- Beginners

I recently got open-comb fever and purchased the 2009 redesigned Muhle R41 razor from www.bestgroomingtools.com. (BestGroomingTools provided excellent service; see the related thread here.)

I have used the R41 for the past week, with German Wilkinson and Feather blades. I used D.R. Harris Arlington soap and the Vintage Blades own-brand soap, which I believe is identical to Truefitt & Hill Luxury soap.

My conclusions are noted above, but a couple of points are worth expanding.

I was surprised by the difference between the Wilkinson and Feather blades. On the extremes, I got a very poor shave on a day when I used a Wilkinson and neglected good prep, and I got an excellent shave one day when I used a virgin Feather and shaved after softening my whiskers in the shower. The other Wilkinson shaves were fair to good, and the other Feather shaves were good to very good. My Merkur 34C does not reveal such a difference between these blades, but it was unmistakable with the Muhle.

By far, the most challenging aspect was to avoid weepers and razor burn on my neck; the Muhle demanded a light hand and careful attention to angle on the neck, and most days I drew a couple of weepers. After a week, I think I am getting the knack, but I did certainly have to adjust my technique. For this reason, I think the Muhle is best suited to a shaver already familiar with the basics of good technique.

The razor is beautiful, and the chrome finish on mine is clear and without flaw. The pattern in the handle is not machined knurling per se; it appears to be a molded/stamped pattern of fine waves. These are not much good for grip, instead giving the handle a waxy feel. Because the handle is hollow and light, the razor is slightly head heavy. Also, I think the open comb design routes more of the lather onto the handle. This was bothersome at first, but over the course of the week I got used to it. One other slight design disappointment is that the lugs protruding beneath the head do not seat squarely in my razor stand; this is not a major concern, however.

The big question folks will have is how this compares to a Merkur open-comb design. Unfortunately, I can’t offer a comparison. My first DE was a Merkur Classic open comb, but I sold that one long ago. I do think that if you offered me a Merkur open comb in trade for my Muhle, I would keep the Muhle. I also would keep the Muhle over my Gillette New open comb; the New bit me once, and I have not been too keen on it since.

In short, as noted above, if you need to scratch the open-comb itch, the Muhle R41 is a good option. For me, its minor ergonomic faults are compensated by handsome design, quality manufacture, and superior performance around the chin and mouth. YMMV, as always.

Note that Muhle has redesigned its razors this year, so be sure you are getting the correct item.

Smooth shaving,

Nice piece of work DEF and I can't wait to try mine.

Oh, yes I can since I am concentrating on the new Mühle R89. My #1 vendor got them last week and I took 1/2 a day off to see them before I bought them both.
Love the craftmanship on these razors, far better than what Merkur has to offer these days.
Wondering about your weepers and razor burn though; the new Mühle open-comb head is a Merkur/Dovo open comb head and if I have one mild shaver it is the Merkur 25C (OC)...
BTW I like my razors head heavy but when you see the thick handle you do expect more weight in the razor.
Did you put your review in the "review section" too ?

Thanks, Harrie.

I'll post this in Reviews, as well. I'm not as familiar with the layout over here as I am with SMF, so I misfiled it here.

Bob at BestGroomingTools mentioned that this was a Muhle head, so I'll still need to track down a Merkur open comb so I can compare them directly. Then I'll be able to see if I have the same weeper tendency with a Merkur -- in which case, maybe that's just how I fare with the OC style.

It's odd that my Merkur HD 34C shaves better on my cheeks and neck than around my chin and mouth, and the Muhle is the opposite.

Good job on the R89; I wouldn't mind trying one of those, too.

Regards,
Doug

Bob at BestGroomingTools mentioned that this was a Muhle head, so I'll still need to track down a Merkur open comb so I can compare them directly.

Some months ago a lot of members (including me) e-mailed Mühle directly and what came out was that the safety bar design (as on the new R89) is new and will be used on all Mühle and Edwin Jagger razors while the new open comb design is coming from Merkur.
The OC really looks the same on my Merkur and Mühle (in design; the finish on the Mühle makes the Merkur look like made of 3rd choice parts) but I still didn't use it so there might be a hidden secret..

Those Muehle Razors look sexy. I think it'll be my first aquisition once i get down to it. A 2009 R89 Muehle.

Those Muehle Razors look sexy. I think it'll be my first aquisition once i get down to it. A 2009 R89 Muehle.

Have to warn you though; as soon as you have seen these they will totally change (= ruin) your perception on fit and finish of a razor....

You might be forever lost thereafter....:biggrin::ciappa::biggrin:

Top Bottom