What's new

What's in YOUR Mug? ~ May 2009

"Chocolate, men, and coffee: some things are better rich." -- Anonymous

With no high-fructose corn syrup, no cholesterol, and no trans-fats, pretty much any time is the right time for a cuppa coffee. What's in YOUR mug?

Last edited:
Today is my older daughter's birthday. Shira is now 27... the same age as I was, when I emigrated to Israel; and, like her father, she's managed to serve in the military, travel 'n trek at home and abroad, and get some excellent tattoos. Happy Birthday, Shira!

Even though it's mid-afternoon, I only just got up... and what better way to start my day, then a 50/50 mixture of Ethiopia Organic DP Idido Misty Valley and Sumatra Takengon Classic.

proxy.php

Nice 'n smooth... chocolate milk and citrus highlights. The mug was a gift from older daughter, when returning to Israel from trekking in South America.

proxy.php

Ethiopia Dry process Korate, roasted Friday and brewed in Technivorm. Fruit soup.

I also roasted the wet-process version of this bean this week, which I prefer. Tomorrow I think I'll blend them 50/50 and see what emerges.

I apologize for the blurry pic.

Latte Art Acrobatics. 5.5oz Nuova Point Cappuccino cup.

The blend is something I threw together before a weekend trip from a local account I'm training. 50% "Guatemala", 25%"Costa Rica", 25%"Columbia"

The Costa Rica is El Indio (I know, because I used to work at the roasterie that roasts it). Brian Franklin (of Double Shot Coffee fame) talks about it: http://coffeeilluminati.blogspot.com/2008/10/costa-rica-el-indio.html

The Columbia is Reserva Del Patron (I know for the same reason as above). It's a pretty well-known coffee, so I wont bore with details.

The Guatemala is.. I have no idea. It's a new crop year, and definitely a new source, I've been told. It's great, though, with gobs of body, fruit, flavor, and sweetness. Mellow acidity, no dirt, and great in an espresso blend.

Nice cuppa. My latte art skills have improved drastically, but I am always too lazy to get out the camera in the morning.

An "all American" espresso, huh? Interesting.

Nice cuppa. My latte art skills have improved drastically, but I am always too lazy to get out the camera in the morning.

An "all American" espresso, huh? Interesting.

Yeah, it's definitely different sounding, but not so off-the-wall in cup characteristics.

The Columbia lends a little bass to it, the bulk of the body is given by the Guat (which takes the place of both the Brazil base, and the washed coffee for flavor). The costa rica just adds a bit more acidity to compensate for what's lacking in the guat (which is helped along by the Columbian as well).

Also, most of their other coffees aren't roasted well. (they are generally roasted too fast, but since these are primarily a higher density, they tend to fare okay)

JB, I love that cup.

Today's cappuccino. Same recipe, different day, different capp.

Early Swan attempt.

This one looks more like a dragon, so with the rest of the milk, I blopped the sun under it. 100% free-poured, oddly enough. Really thin foam seems to be the main trick with complex, or multiple pours in a single cup.

As I was reading on Sweet Maria's about one of the coffee beans in my cupboard -- Sulawesi Grade One Toraja, I was surprised to find the following snippet:

"The deep, rich body and flavor of our Toraja rivals the best Sumatran coffees. The deep-toned flavors and maple-syrupy body sets it apart, and results in a stunning, clearer taste profile (but less sheer power and earthiness) that a Dry-Processed Mandheling. My choice for Moka-Java Blends, with 50% Yemeni and 50% Sulawesi..."

Well, since I also have some of their Yemen Mokha Sana'ani, I decided to put Tom's words to the test, and roasted a 2/3-cup batch of each one (Sana'ani, FC; Sulawesi, Vienna).

After an almost-24-hour wait, I prepared a mug of Mokha-Java in my Bodum press-pot. The results? Bright and tasty, with a strong body of chocolate and tobacco. I'll revisit this mix next week, with pictures.

JB, I love that cup.

Today's cappuccino. Same recipe, different day, different capp.

Early Swan attempt.

This one looks more like a dragon, so with the rest of the milk, I blopped the sun under it. 100% free-poured, oddly enough. Really thin foam seems to be the main trick with complex, or multiple pours in a single cup.

Now you're just showing off. :tongue_sm

Not hardly. I really don't consider myself to be that great of a latte artist, but I still like to have fun with it from time to time. I've seen better. Lots better.

Top Bottom