What's new

Merkur Futur wobble or "play" ?s from new owner

Hi all, I received a new Merkur Futur this past Monday from West Coast Shaving and as a new DE shaver I am thrilled with the shaves I have been getting from it (best shaves of my life!!!). I have wetshaved for years with an old plastic Atra II and was given a quattro a few years ago by a well meaning friend but only learned about DE razors two weeks ago and it just felt right to take the plunge. Two nicks so far but the shaves are more than worth it.

I have noticed some threads about the Futur that referred to blade gaps. I do not have that but there is a very slight amount of lateral play - side to side in the blade cap. Is this normal? I would estimate it as an 1/8 of an inch at the most. Very difficult to see but it is observable if the razor is held up to a light bulb and then carefully pushed back and forth. Blade angle and the guard depth does not appear to change at all.

I love my razor (my other choice was the Merkur 38C or 38M) but want to make sure that it is ok for the long haul. Along with a Futur, I also ordered a choice sample pack, alum bar (ouch but nice), Cella shaving soap (awesome) and a boar brush (not received yet). So far, I am loving the Dorco blades and was surprised to get six shaves out of them so far. Thanks for your help!

I'm thinking that the "play" is a slight design weakness of the Futur. I used a Futur for years, and I never noticed the quality of the shave being adversely affected by this.

Top Bottom