What's new

Fix or replace a washer

We have a Whirpool Neptune Stackable washer and dryer that's 10 years old now. It came with the house we recently bought. Five days ago (that's 5 years in dirty laundry time ) it stopped locking the door and would run the spin cycle. The computer geek that I am, I immediatly went online, found the problem and how to fix it. All told the parts are going to cost $200 with 2 day shipping. I tried a quick and dirty resistor replacement, but that didn't fix it. I might try one more hack when I get home, but that's besides the point.

What would you do? Me, I thought about fixing it, but the wife thinks I'm crazy. I don't think we're going to buy a new one, but I don't have any qualms with buying a refurbished washer from the repair place down the street. It seems a shame that I know the problem and how to fix it, just to junk the thing. I mean, the drive motor is still covered uner warranty.

Last edited:
I think it depends on your finances. You may want to price replacement costs for the washer and see if it's worth paying $350 for a replacement versus the $200 part.

My dryer died last week. It was 10 years old as well. I called in the repair man. It cost me $80 bucks for him to tell me to buy a new one. The motor was shot, and he said even though that would cost "only" $275 to replace and would be good for a while longer, but that there was no way a 10 year old dryer was going to last as otherwise long as the new motor. Furthermore, he said that once he replaced the new motor, there was no guarantee that anything further wouldn't need repair as well.

He looked at my relatively new (3 years) LG washer and said "just get the companion to that." Frankly, that offended me...he made the presumption that money was no object, whereas I did a ton of research and bought the LG based upon its direct drive system and stainless steel innards, along with its stellar energy rating, and that we probably had the LG because of looks. I told him outright why I had the LG washer and that I don't entertain in my washroom so I could care less about the looks or brand of the dryer...I'm not looking to impress people. A dryer is a no frills device in my mind.

So...2 days of research, and $700 later ($250 more than I wanted to spend) the matching LG was working great.:blushing:

Sorry for the OT rant....but I hope my experience helps.

It would be nice if things were cheaper to fix ( and people actually knew how to fix things) than just keep buying new...
I would just get a new one. You could spend money it on and no guarantees that something else won't go wrong. If you buy new, at least you will have some sort of warranty. My 2c

Men always want to troubleshoot and fix; Women always want to buy a new one; I've learned the hard way to listen to my wife.

I was going to say, "fix it," til I read this.

Trade it in on an Electrolux. They make some of the finest commercial-grade laundry equipment in the world, I'm sure their home units are insanely duable and will last forever.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like we're getting a new washer. It really doesn't make sense to fix it.

FLTiger, I read about that settlement, but our exact model isn't on that list.

If you get the urge to DIY the fix of anything else in the future, go to FixYa. So far I've managed to salvage my fridge, an MP3 player, a printer, and a fancy accounting calculator though that site.

When our fridge broke Mrs. Chip wouldn't let me buy the $200 part to fix it either, but after the repair guy bought exactly the same part and we saw how easy it was she agreed to let me have a crack at the next appliance that breaks.

Sometimes you can't make the problem worse so you might as well try fixing it yourself before putting the money down to get someone else to do it. Just tell your wife Chip said it and I'm sure she'll agree. :wink:

If you get the urge to DIY the fix of anything else in the future, go to FixYa. So far I've managed to salvage my fridge, an MP3 player, a printer, and a fancy accounting calculator though that site.

When our fridge broke Mrs. Chip wouldn't let me buy the $200 part to fix it either, but after the repair guy bought exactly the same part and we saw how easy it was she agreed to let me have a crack at the next appliance that breaks.

Sometimes you can't make the problem worse so you might as well try fixing it yourself before putting the money down to get someone else to do it. Just tell your wife Chip said it and I'm sure she'll agree. :wink:

Nice site, thanks!

I'm emailing your response to my wife now :wink:

Before I bought a house I didn't do a whole lot of fixing, or maintenance because the apartments took care of it. It's amazing how much stuff there is to do around the ole' house. I also recently started changing oil and stocked up on the main fluids, and got a sweet deal on an air compressor. I like DIY projects...

I tried the other dirty hack by replacing another component on the board, but it didn't work.

I think if the washer was a bit newer - maybe 5-6 years old, I'd order the parts needed to fix it, but I think 10 years is a bit too much for a washing machine.

I had a good time taking it apart and trying, though :biggrin:

Here's a thought.

Fix the washer, and then Craigslist the washer and dryer for slightly more than it cost you to fix it. Be open about the recent repair and the age of the units. Someone will take them off your hands. This basically ensures that the two appliances actually get used, and don't end up in a landfill.

Here's a thought.

Fix the washer, and then Craigslist the washer and dryer for slightly more than it cost you to fix it. Be open about the recent repair and the age of the units. Someone will take them off your hands. This basically ensures that the two appliances actually get used, and don't end up in a landfill.

In my quest to fix the washer I forgot we were going to continue to use the dryer attached to it. :redface:

When it comes to this kind of thing I'd say fix it as long as the cost is to your benefit. Personally I get a charge out fixing things.

And an even bigger charge when it works....:biggrin:

I just replaced the coupler between the motor and the transmission in my eight year old whirlpool washer. Doing it myself saved me a $100.00 service call, the coupler cost $20 and took 45 minutes to install. At the cost of washers these days I say fix the one you have and start saving for it's future replacement.

Clayton

If you need to replace, check Consurmer Reports; they do extensive testing and evaluation on various brand/models.

If you need to replace, check Consurmer Reports; they do extensive testing and evaluation on various brand/models.

+1, I needed to replace our washer and dishwasher a few months ago after >20yrs. Very good info. I good a great washer for (Maytag toploader, even made in the good old USA) for about $400. It's excellent.

Top Bottom