What's new

C.O.Bigelow A/S Balms at Bath and Body works

I was thinking of purchasing 2 Bigelow/proraso creams for some family members. I have a coupon stating that if you spend $30 or more you get $10 off.

I was going to stock up on another Bigelow/proraso for myself. I only have the $5 as of now.

Another option would be their A/S balms. I don't see any reviews for them but found a couple of posts. I sometimes break out so I try to stay away from balms. I have had good luck though with Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad balm and Wesley & Scott lightly mentholated balm. Both absorb quickly and do not leave a greasy face.

What are your opinions on them?
Are they light and non greasy?
How do they compare with other balms such as Crabtree & Evelyn.
What is the most popular fragrance/color silver,black,green,red,or blue?

Should I get a balm or cream?

I am a big fan of Bigelow's #1200 ASB ... the one with the Silver stripe.

It is unscented, which should make it a good choice for sensitive skin.

The Silver costs $15 for 100ml, rather than $10 for the other varieties. IMHO, the extra $5 is well worth it, although I don't know why this one is more expensive than others in the same line.

I tried the Green last year. I got it on one of those special combo-promotions. I wanted the Silver, but the store I was in didn't carry it. I wound up returning the Green after one use and exhanging it for the Silver at a larger B&BW.

Bigelow's Silver is the most often used ASB in my rotation, and I have about 5 others to choose from. Even with frequent use, my original 100ml bottle lasted me about 9 months.

While you're there at the store, also check out #1197, Pre-Shave Oil for Sensitive Skin. $12 for 1oz. Also with a Silver stripe. This and the ASB make an excellent pair for your shaving set-up.

Bigelow's Bay Rum ASB is very nice, and it goes well with the Bay Rum cologne. In fact, I heard that they're going to come out with a body wash too.

Bigelow's Bay Rum ASB is very nice, and it goes well with the Bay Rum cologne. In fact, I heard that they're going to come out with a body wash too.

Besides the scent how is the actual balm. Do you think that it is a much superior balm compared to the other CO Bigelow Barber balms (black,green,blue, silver, red)? It is about $10 more for the bayrum but are you paying for the scent or the quality of the balm.

Besides the scent how is the actual balm. Do you think that it is a much superior balm compared to the other CO Bigelow Barber balms (black,green,blue, silver, red)? It is about $10 more for the bayrum but are you paying for the scent or the quality of the balm.

I've found the Bay Rum ASB to be less moisturizing than a lot of the other balms out there. At ten bucks more than the others, you are quite literally paying for the scent.

Having said that, it's still my favorite CO B. balm.

I may try the bayrum. My skin sometimes gets a little dry but most of the time it is a bit oily. I break out easily also. So I tend to stick with very light moisturizers/balms that are non greasy/oily. IMHO lotions/balms/moisturizers that moisturize well tend to be heavier and greasier.

Anyone know of any ingredients in the Bigelow balms that help razor burn. In other words I don't want to buy a moisturizer marketing as an aftershave balm because they threw in some scent.

The hair/body wash has been out for a while, but it's rarely stocked at B&BW stores. The Bay Rum gift set is $46.00, which is $6 more than just the cologne.

Other than the nice glass bottle, I would say the asb is a bit overpriced...I still love it though.

I bought the black elixir last week and I really like that smell of that one as well. Kind of spicy/musky. However, I can't compare it to the Bay Rum since I left that in Houston. Neither of them are too oily though.

I've got the blue...

Its a good ASB with Witch Hazel and, if memory serves, Aloe and a few other goodies...so its a no kidding good, ASB.

Scent-wise...YMMV. For me...its...meh....

I put some on and a friend of my wife's said our car smelled like clean dryer sheets...not the scent I was going for.

But the face felt good all day!

Anyone know of any ingredients in the Bigelow balms that help razor burn. In other words I don't want to buy a moisturizer marketing as an aftershave balm because they threw in some scent.

The ingredients that stick out are glycerin, witch hazel water, aloe vera, and vitamin E. I'm not that knowledgeable in what ingredients do what though, so I might have missed some other ingredients.

The ingredients that stick out are glycerin, witch hazel water, aloe vera, and vitamin E. I'm not that knowledgeable in what ingredients do what though, so I might have missed some other ingredients.

I am no expert either but I am thinking the witchhazel water will act like an astringent and soothe. Aloe Vera helps with sunburn so that should help razor burn also.

I was just looking at the bay rum on bath and body works page no more than 3 minutes ago. I think I will have to give it a go with my next paycheck. Or rather could anyone recomend a better bay rum for the money? I have yet to try a bay rum from any manufacturer so any opinions/info would be great!

I was just looking at the bay rum on bath and body works page no more than 3 minutes ago. I think I will have to give it a go with my next paycheck. Or rather could anyone recomend a better bay rum for the money? I have yet to try a bay rum from any manufacturer so any opinions/info would be great!

You'd be better off with any number of Bay Rums over the CO Bigelow. Pinaud, Masters, Ogallala, Dominica, Royall, etc.

I use the Black and like it quite a bit, however I like Old Spice more. Its my wife who really loves it, she says it smells fresh and young. I use it after a dash of WH and it leaves my face feeling great. My $0.02.

You'd be better off with any number of Bay Rums over the CO Bigelow. Pinaud, Masters, Ogallala, Dominica, Royall, etc.

I ended getting the black CO Bigelow. I couldn't decide between the black, red, or the bigelow/proraso cream. I do have the cream already so I was thinking of getting an extra. They are really good with returns and exchanges. She said I can get my money back with a receipt or an exchange without one.

As for the Bay Rums I am still trying to convince myself that I like them. I have some Ogallalla aftershave and cologne. It doesn't last on me and I didn't like the scent too much. I haven't smelled the Pinaud because they are always sealed. I can't remember what the masters smell like.

I do remember it was either in Bermuda or the Bahamas that I smelled the St John's and the Royall bay rums. I like those better than the Ogallala.

I figured that instead of getting the $20 Bigelow A/S balm I am better off spending $6-7 on the Pinaud or Masters.

How cooling is this ASB?

Bigelow's #1200 ASB has virtually no cooling effect whatsoever ... however, it is very soothing and keeps my skin feeling smooth for the remainder of the day, or until the next time I wash my face, whichever comes first.

Just tried the Black for the first time. So far I like it. Smells good but not to strong. Very light which I like because it leaves my face not greasy.

Not much cooling or burning.

Top Bottom