What's new

Proselytizing at Wally World

So last night I had to take a trip to Wally World for something else, but I wandered by the shaving aisle just because. I find a middle-aged woman there scanning all the Mach3 and Fusion blades with a confused look on her face.

Me: What're you looking for?
Her: I don't know, some kind of Mach3 something or other. (pauses) What's the difference between these blades?
Me: They're pretty much the same. Some have a different lubrication strip.
Her: Which ones make that noise and quiver?
Me: (laughing). That's the razor that does that, not the blades. Any of them will do the same if you put into the handle that shakes.
Her: What's the point of that? Does it give you a better shave?
Me: Doesn't seem to. Mostly it's marketing hype.
Her: Hmm.....
Me: You know what I shave with? (I point to the Personnas) Double-edge blades like these.
Her: Really? (lights up) Like the ones my grandpa used to shave with?
Me: Yeah. I used to use the cartridges but then I noticed that I got a better shave with the M3 than the Fusion, and better with the Sensor than the M3. So I thought if 2 is better than 3, and 3 is better than 5, maybe..
Her: (interrupting) One is better than two!
Me: Exactly.

The conversation went on. She wanted to know where to buy the razors. I referenced e-bay and the B&B forums. I told her about Mantic's videos. I told her about VDH soap.

End result? She bought a puck of VDH and shoved her Fusion coupon back into her purse.

Might not lead to anything, but at least I'm sowing seeds!:001_smile

She wanted to know where to buy the razors. I referenced e-bay and the B&B forums.

You know, that's really the weak link in the whole DE shaving thing. The razors aren't available anymore in normal shops. At least not where I live, and also not in the USA if I'm right. I believe that things are a little better in the UK, with e.g. the Wilkinson Sword Classic.

It's amazing how wally world has so plainly dominated the retail sector, in my opinion, in some ways, for the worse. At least some still have the good stuff. Glad to hear you were able to provide some education.

You know, that's really the weak link in the whole DE shaving thing. The razors aren't available anymore in normal shops. At least not where I live, and also not in the USA if I'm right. I believe that things are a little better in the UK, with e.g. the Wilkinson Sword Classic.

+1. Considering keeping a newbie setup in my car... a shaver-grade tech, some blade packs, etc. Just incase I can satisfactorily entice someone while out and about. Only problem is, would YOU accept razor blades as a gift from a stranger? :lol:

+1. Considering keeping a newbie setup in my car... a shaver-grade tech, some blade packs, etc. Just incase I can satisfactorily entice someone while out and about. Only problem is, would YOU accept razor blades as a gift from a stranger? :lol:

A DE emergency PIF kit? Hmm, I smell potential marketing potential here, fellas... :yesnod:

Last edited:
Jamie Lee Curtis?

proxy.php

Well done indeed. Before long we'll start having meetings and canvasing neighborhoods in white shirts and ties passing out "real shaving gear". Preach it brother, preach it! :lol::lol:

I couldn't agree more. If only the WSC- or Boots razor, in fact any cheapo that does the trick, would be standard in the drugstores our numbers would be up.
Meaning selling less Fusions and Mach-3's and who is paying for shelf space ....? Yep, Gillette does...:eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom