What's new

How long till I switch?

Well, I've been DE shaving for about half a month now. I have only been using my Parker 71R and tried a few blades.

Since starting I've acquired a Superspeed and a D.R. Harris. How long would you all recommend I continue with my Parker before I give the newbies a try? I know it is recommended to learn with one before changing as to get my technique down first.

Thanks

Well, I've been DE shaving for about half a month now. I have only been using my Parker 71R and tried a few blades.

Since starting I've acquired a Superspeed and a D.R. Harris. How long would you all recommend I continue with my Parker before I give the newbies a try? I know it is recommended to learn with one before changing as to get my technique down first.

Thanks

Go for it. Two weeks is long enough to feel locked into one razor. If you are getting good shaves then your technique is good enough to experiment. If you are NOT getting good shaves, well time to switch something out!

I think it's personal preference in terms of learning your way around a particular razor. I would suggest that once you are consistently achieving good shaves with your razor it'll be time to try something else and share the wealth!

Well, when I got started, I changed early and often. As a result, I took a long time to get truly great shaves. But, I was having fun and it was a tradeoff that I was happy to make. As in most things on this site, it's mostly a personal preference thing.

I do have a Parker 89R(which is similar to yours) and I will tell you to switch to Gillette right now and enjoy it!

Be warned: If you switch to the SS (which one did you get -- 40's, Flare, Red Tip, ?), you may never switch back -- those razors are just plain fun to shave with.

Enjoy!

I'm getting a Gillette Slim adjustable in the mail from a member any day now, and I am breaking that baby in the day I get it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Be warned: If you switch to the SS (which one did you get -- 40's, Flare, Red Tip, ?), you may never switch back -- those razors are just plain fun to shave with.

Enjoy!

+1

I think that I used my Weishi for a month and then I touched a '55 SS... I never touched the Weishi again. If you feel that you need a change, go for it.

I used only my Schick Krona for the first few months I started DE shaving, and once I was comfortable with my shaves, and had the chance to try a different razor, I moved on. I am a new convert to the Blue-Tip SS, it is awesome! It does take a slightly different approach to use, but enjoyable all the same. I'd say break out the new razor, and be sure to only change one thing at a time. If you're getting good shaves with your current blades, soap and lather, just change the razor. Use the same blades to compare, and adjust as needed. The best part of this as a hobby is that there are so many choices! Enjoy and welcome!

I also really like your avatar! Cool using the B&B Logo!!

Well, when I got started, I changed early and often. As a result, I took a long time to get truly great shaves. But, I was having fun and it was a tradeoff that I was happy to make. As in most things on this site, it's mostly a personal preference thing.

I did and am still doing this to a certain extent. :redface:

Top Bottom