What's new

help me round out my "going out" colognes.

I'm fairly new to the world of colognes (at age 35, go figure). I've stumbled onto this forum as a nice little bonus to all the wetshaving boards.

I'm looking to buy 2 - 3 new colognes, I will only be wearing them for a night out (mostly casual). I don't need one for work as my A/S covers that.

bear in mind the only scent I own currently is M:Men (Masaki Matsushima), which I really love.

my price range is from $50 to $70 per scent. I could put all that into one, but I always been one to switch up from time to time. Some of the ones I've come across that pique my interest are Gucci Envy, Channel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, and Acqua di Parma Colonia.

So I throw myself to the mercy of this board... help me etablish a nice rotation. I would like 3 scents that aren't too similar to each other but serve the similar function of a laid back night out, perhaps with romantic or seductive overtones.

thanks!

For your age group I would definitely buy ADP. It works for work, ballgames and dating. Keeping your budget in mind consider, YSL rive gauche, Guerlain L'Instant De Guerlain and Brooks Brothers 1818. This would be a good start. My son likes these when I wear them.

You could try a few Christopher Brosius I Hate Perfumes for $60-70. The scents are very unusual and the travel/sample bottles last quite a while.

I'm fairly new to the world of colognes (at age 35, go figure). I've stumbled onto this forum as a nice little bonus to all the wetshaving boards.

I'm looking to buy 2 - 3 new colognes, I will only be wearing them for a night out (mostly casual). I don't need one for work as my A/S covers that.

bear in mind the only scent I own currently is M:Men (Masaki Matsushima), which I really love.

my price range is from $50 to $70 per scent. I could put all that into one, but I always been one to switch up from time to time. Some of the ones I've come across that pique my interest are Gucci Envy, Channel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, and Acqua di Parma Colonia.

So I throw myself to the mercy of this board... help me etablish a nice rotation. I would like 3 scents that aren't too similar to each other but serve the similar function of a laid back night out, perhaps with romantic or seductive overtones.

thanks!

I'm in exactly the same position. I'm going to get these purchases, but most of them are just blind buys, having only done research on here and on basenotes.

1. Tabac
2. Guerlain Vetiver
3. Knize Ten
4. Lagerfeld Classic

I don't know if these suit you (I don't even know if they suit me!). I'm thinking about buying off of http://www.perfumenetwork.com/ as the prices seem so low, and they seem to have everything in stock.

Edit: I will add (with the caveat that I have only tried the AS, not the cologne) that TOBS Mr. Taylor is awesome

Last edited:
Yes definitely come on over to Basenotes!

Since you liked Acqua di Parma Colonia, give the Intensa a try. I think it might be up your alley, and perfect for the casual night out in warmer weather.

There are too many others to name! Come to Basenotes!

I won't make any specific suggestions, but you should get some samples first. If you're thinking of spending $150-$200, you could also get some excellent decants--half an ounce to an ounce would let you get six or seven--or more--instead of two or three. Just an idea.

I think you stick to basics. Austin suggested ADP, which is a great utilitarian fragrance. Perhaps try RL Safari for Men. Basenotes is an excellent resource, but be cautious as many members there may tell you you should buy niche and discontinued fragrances costing hundreds of dollars.

I'm a little older than you and I just started discovering the wonderful world of colognes early this year.

It started here.

Then I bought some samples.

It'll probably never end, but I did draw some conclusions.

Or, if you want to skip all that, here's the bottom line. My first suggestion would be to just go straight to the best stuff: Parfums di Nicolai - New York. It's a little pricier than you wanted, but it's awesome juice. Second in line would be Creed - Bois du Portugal. Great stuff. If you really want to stick to your budget, try some Brooks Brothers - 1818. You should be able to find it locally.

Having made my recommendations, your best bet is to ignore all the specific suggestions you get and try a bunch of samples to see what YOU like. Place an order from Rorschuck.

~Jeff

Take a look at www.basenotes.net as an aid to your research.

Most definitely!! :biggrin: You'll find lots more answers there, but they specialize in fragrances.

I would suggest that you look at Dior Homme. It is a great scent for night time use with a bit of mysterious warmth to it, which might be seen as "seductive."

Some others, that are not similar at all would be Geir, and Live Jazz. These are more "fresh/clean" scents. Both mellow out well into some of my favorite basenotes. Colonia is a great scent though. I really like it and would have suggested it if you had not already found it for yourself.

John Varvatos is a leathery, masculine scent, but it is very inviting.

You have picked out a good bunch for yourself, but it couldn't hurt to sniff a few more...:wink:

Man, just get down to the shops and sniff until you get stuff you like:001_smile

The review section and forums here will provide a lot of help when it comes to comparing and discussing scents, availability, price etc.

Happy Shopping!

One way to cover some ground without ending up with a pile of cash tied up in colognes is to buy 8-10 decant, preferably ~10 ml - enough to get to know the scent without spending a fortune.

Some possibilities:penhaligon's Endymion, Opus 1870, Castile. Diptyque Tam Dao, Montale Black Aoud. Most of these project quite well, so a light application is enough.

One way to cover some ground without ending up with a pile of cash tied up in colognes is to buy 8-10 decant, preferably ~10 ml - enough to get to know the scent without spending a fortune.

Some possibilities:penhaligon's Endymion, Opus 1870, Castile. Diptyque Tam Dao, Montale Black Aoud. Most of these project quite well, so a light application is enough.

Great suggestions. Unfortunately, this gent has a budget that would not include those scents.

I have a suggestion though, why buy 3 or 4 colognes in your budget. Perhaps buying one or two great scents instead. You can add more to your selection at a later time.

My girlfriend received ADP Colonia Assoluta as a gift, which is a newer version of Colonia.

I tried it myself and wasn't keen. Read all the positive reviews, tried again, ok. Tried again, actually, quite liked it.

Now, the bottle is half gone and she's hardly used it. Go figure.

I LOVE it!

I will probably now acquire the entire range.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
With the s....weather today, my wife took me to the mall and we stopped at Bloomy's at the men fragrance counter. Two scent I really liked were John Varvatos and Narciso Rodriguez for men. Both are in your price range, but if you go to a discount place like fragrance net, you will find them at a better price. Both will be soon in my cabinet....

This is a great one. I was once told by nice young lady that this is how a man should smell. Kind of hard to find but worth it. Nordstoms is one place I know that carries it.

Top Bottom