What's new

Bic Sensitive Disposables vs. DE Razor

Quick question for the folks here.

Since finding B&B I dumped my canned shaving cream and fusion power. I've been using Proraso green tube + AOS pure badger brush with Bic Sensitive Disposables: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=80911. Going to try AOS Lavender soap soon.

Anyway, the above review on this site noted that Bic Sensitive Disposables gave the "feeling" of shaving with a DE razor, so I decided to try them out as opposed to diving in head first and getting an HD. I started last week, and with very light pressure and increased awareness of my growth pattern, I had great success reducing irritation and getting decent shaves (WTG and XTG only).

That said, the Bics are so mild that I often have to go over the same spot a few times. I always lather up again, but even when I'm done I find that some patches are not shaved as evenly as others. I attribute this to the fact that the Bic has to be at a very specific angle in order to cut. I guess this is similar to DEs.

I had irritation on Monday and Tuesday this week, so either I got lazy or I had a bad blade. Switched blades and paid more attention, so today's better.

Given the fact that I can get a serviceable shave with this setup, is there any reason to get an HD? Would the irritation be reduced even further, assuming proper technique?

J

Jarmo P

Merkur 34 is a more aggressive shaver than Bic Sensitive yes. I have taken Bics in my rotation. It is true that you might have some stubble after a bic shave, even going with all 3 whisker growth passes. But more it is just not having an ok technique. They give some pretty damn good shaves.

Bic is easy, since you dont have to make decision about which blades to use. If you go to a DE, my advice is to avoid the sharpest blades like Feather, especially with HD. I am not comfortable with them still.

If you are finding Bic one blade shaving working for you, there is no reason why you should not widen your ecperience to DEs :001_smile

G

gone down south

There are 2 types of people on this board - those who've found something that works for them and are sticking with it, and those who are always worried that something even better lurks just around the corner and keep chasing it.

You just have to decide which one you are :)

There are 2 types of people on this board - those who've found something that works for them and are sticking with it, and those who are always worried that something even better lurks just around the corner and keep chasing it.

You just have to decide which one you are :)

Well said.

I started with the Bics as well, and have switched to a Gillette Tech. For me the difference is that shaving with the Tech is much more satisfying. It really gives me a feeling of doing something different, or of expanding my horizons, whereas the Bic sensitive did not.

Second, the DE is "greener." Might as well use a multi-blade cartridge as a Bic sensitive, in terms of environmental impact.

In short, I would encourage you to give a Gillette Tech or a Super Speed a try.

Bics are ok, but I think that the blades you can get for a DE razor are of higher quality. Moreover, there are many to choose from, so the chances of finding one that really give good results is pretty high. Still yet, shaving with a Standard De setup is easier in terms of logistics, you can order the blades on line in bulk and you only have to purchase the razor once- this means making no trips to the store. Lastly, I think the shave is much better,more satisfying, and more consistent with a standard metal safety razor.

A merkur HD or gillette SS would be a good one to try. I use an HD and love it, along with crystals and red ip blades, purchased 200 for 25 bucks online delvered.

good luck

Hi Cubemonkey, Welcome home!
I also started with BIC disposables when I first came over to wetshaving. I was able to concentrate more on skin care and lather building technique and every other aspect of shaving while only having to develop proper techniques (IE. angle and pressure) with a uniform tool for stubble removal. I chose the BIC Metal Guard since it is still a single blade shaver but with a metal bar that sort of mimics the safety bar on a DE.
Eventualy I worked up the guts to use my DE and blade samples. A world of difference! You will not believe how much closer the shave is with a DE and a quality blade over the disposable BIC. I still keep my BIC in rotation and I use them when I travel also, and if it is working fine for you then I see no reason to force the step up (I do believe it is a step up) to DE until you are ready to try something different. The biggest thing for me was getting used to the additional weight of the DE. The quality of my shaves has made that more of an asset than a challenge though. I presume that you practice the craft with a certain amount of patience even when shaving aith the BIC. Should you decide to try DE shaving, just remember to continue practicing patience. Read and re-read the stickies. It will be different. It may be better. It has been for me.

Welcome! Sounds like the only decision you have to make is...Do you want to shave because you have to, or do you want to shave to really enjoy it?? Believe me it is enjoyable and addicting!! Good Luck :biggrin: PS I agree big time about DE shaving being much greener than disposable.

Top Bottom