What's new

Search for the perfect brush

Shaving brush type,bristle or handle, appears to be a very personal preference which is why I am so perplexed when it comes to shaving brush discussions. Are the bristles too stiff or too flexible, is the handle too long, too short, too slender, or too big. With regard to bristle stiffness or softness a lot has to do with the loft and the pack density. A long loft pig bristle can feel as soft or softer then a short loft badger brush. A long slender handle once thought of for use with barbers for mixing a lot of lather can be most enjoyable to use for both the gent with large or small hands. The problem I found was there was no place to go for a custom made shaving brush, I mean a real custom brush made to your specifications and prefernce, that gives you the handle size and style married to the bristle type, size and loft that would please the individual. For this reason I have made a few brushes for fun and experimentation to find the perfext brush for me. Attached are a few pictures of my ideas.

All brushes displayed are fitted with a 24mm dense packed Silver Tip Badger brush knot with a loft of 55mm. I plan on making two more badger brushes, one with Silver Tip Super Badger, which is supposed to have a very soft feel and one from a hand tied Silver Tip Badger knot with a 70mm loft.

With the last two planed Silver Tip Badger brushes this will complete my experiments with Badger and I hope to move on to Bore of various knot sizes and loft height. The bore brushes will be a different topic which I hope to by then form a personal opinion for a one of kind custom brush just for me.

For now here are the brushes I have experimented with and yes I have a preference when it comes to handle length and design.

First Brush, is made from Spalded maple and measures 3 1/4" long.
Second Brush is made from Osage Orange and measures 3 1/2" long.
Thired Brush is made from Mopani and measures 2 3/4" long.
Fouth Brush is made of redheart and easurs 2 1/4" long
Fifth picture is of test handles made from pine to get the feel of the design.

I hope all enjoy, I sure have.

Nice post Old Flyer, and well said. I think one of the reasons people pick up this hobby is the ability to customize their shaving routine. Some like SSs, while some like Slants; some like soaps, while others like creams (many like both); some like the sting of an aftershave, while other like the soothing feeling of an ASB.

The point is that many people may like a custom brush, a real custom brush, but many will not know where to start. A new wet shaver will not know if he likes long handles vs short handles or silvertip or boar.

However, I bet after just a few months of shaving and the SBAD that follows he would know what he likes. That's where someone like you steps in!

Also, #1 is very nice. The spalted maple is quite stunning! Keep up the good work, and the B&Bers aware of your brushes!

Top Bottom