What's new

Shaving mugs or bowls - Help

If you can believe it, I've been using a tin cup from an Alcatraz tour as my shaving mug (actually a bowl). I must admit it seems to be the perfect size. I'd like to get something a little more attractive for the bathroom and I haven't been able to find one at the retail sites I frequent.
Have any of you had experience with this? I find coffee mugs way too small for creams.
Seriously, how about a nice latté cup?

Welcome to B&B. Just look around your local Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift shop. They have all kinds of cups, bowls, etc that will fit the bill for only a buck or two.

That should work nicely and only set you back a couple of bucks.

I've seen a lot of people recommend just that. I just use a nice little gloss black cereal bowl that I picked up at Wally World.

I also prefer bowls. This is a cheap option also, just make sure it is comfortable in the hand and large enough. Try target for dipping bowls.

However, my wife is making me a scuttle.
:thumbup1:

I agree. I have an old Surrey shaving mug that's just no good. It's so small I wouldn't bother drinking coffee out of it either! I use a stainless steel bowl because I had one laying around. It's shiny, won't break when I drop it on the tiles, and reasonably attractive. Sometimes it feels a touch too big, though. I think a latte mug would be the perfect thing.

I have bought several shaving mugs and even a small (it loked bigger on the bay) scuttle and keep going back to a small bowl that is about the size of a latte cup. So my answer is go for the cup and save a few bucks that could be spent on other AD's.
Good luck and the Alcatraz cup sounds interesting.

A latte cup is exactly what i use. Almost identical to the one in mantic's videos.

I like it, but am on the hunt for a similar sized bowl/mug with grooved insides

Welcome to B&B. Just look around your local Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift shop. They have all kinds of cups, bowls, etc that will fit the bill for only a buck or two.

+1

You'd be surprised at what you can find in these places. Cheap too! Usually less than a $1.

If you want the ultimate in a lather bowl, you have to check out the Moss scuttles. Hot water goes in the bottom, and keeps the bowl nice and warm for your lather, and a lot less messy than just sitting your bowl in a sink of hot water like I do. I'd absolutely love one of these, but just can't afford it at the moment. Here's a link to one place that makes 'em, I'm sure there are others.

http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/moss_scuttle.htm

find a nice rice bowl. I got one at walmart for about $4 that had a nice design on it, was ribbed inside and a good size. anywhere that sells dishes should have some chinese/japanese style rice bowls.

there is also a thread here somewhere about a wooden salad bowl from Ikea that looked perfect.

I agree. I have an old Surrey shaving mug that's just no good. It's so small I wouldn't bother drinking coffee out of it either! I use a stainless steel bowl because I had one laying around. It's shiny, won't break when I drop it on the tiles, and reasonably attractive. Sometimes it feels a touch too big, though. I think a latte mug would be the perfect thing.

one with a B&B logo would be even more perfect!!

I found a nice berry bowl at my local Wally World works nicely. My first choice is an old soapstone morter and pestiel set. The bowl holds heat and the stone looks great with my razors.

Weapons;
Gillette Tech
Gillette Super Speed
Merkur 33C
Gillette Travel Tech

Welcome to B&B, and keep in mind that there are hundreds upon hundreds of options for you out there. When you find one, you will probably find another, and another, and eventually acquire a small collection of lathering bowls and mugs, like I am sure numerous members have.

And who knows, maybe when you get a different brush, it won't fit quite right, and then you will buy more!:biggrin: Asking around here is a good idea (if you haven't noticed, everyone is quick and helpful) and you never know what suggestions might pop up.

I bought a latte mug at Pier One last week for $7. It is a really nice size. They had them in a lightish yellow, lightish blue, and lightish green. I chose green.

Odd note: I think the bowl might have had a wax coating on it. I didn't run it through the dishwasher when I brought it home. I just washed it in the sink by hand. It took 3 tries to make lather from a soap I use all the time. After a week or so of usage it works better than my old rice bowl but for the first few uses it felt too slick for lathering. *shrug*

I was looking for the right combo of size, price, and having a handle (I was using a ramekin) and at Bed Bath and Beyond found a selection of latte mugs for three bucks! Can't beat it! They had three different colors, and this was a week ago, so a good chance one near you would have them.

If you can believe it, I've been using a tin cup from an Alcatraz tour as my shaving mug (actually a bowl). I must admit it seems to be the perfect size. I'd like to get something a little more attractive for the bathroom and I haven't been able to find one at the retail sites I frequent.
Have any of you had experience with this? I find coffee mugs way too small for creams.

Welcome to B&B.

The idea of an Alcatraz tin cup/bowl intrigues me. Got a picture? Are you the first owner? :biggrin1:

I mostly face lather but every now and then I like a bowl/mug. I cannot find something that is cheap and ideal size. I think a oversized latte mug would do but I can't find locally. I used to see them all the time before I wanted one. I searched Target, Pier one, tj maxx, marshalls, walmart, homegoods, and dollar stores.

Any ideas of who carries large latte/soap mugs for $5 or less?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I usually get low profile soup mugs at a thrift store for about 50 cents. In fact, I just picked another one up yesterday at Goodwill for that price.

I always found the coffee mug too small too, it isnt quite big enough to work the cream around to get a nice lather. A latte cup or a nice bowl is perfect. I got a bowl that fits in my hand perfectly and is really pretty from Target for like $3. Good luck

Top Bottom