What's new

First few shaves with Derbys vs. Astras

I just started shaving about 3 weeks ago and have been using Astra SP's. Though Ive been hearing about Derbys and that they should be the stock standard beginner blade. So I've been trying one out the last few days.

So far I'm completely unconvinced. Compared to the Astras they are dull and irritating.

This is just my opinion but it seems that Astras provide a much Smoother, shave and are significantly sharper than the Derbys. I also have been getting lots of nicks with the Derbys whereas the Astra's are baby proof.

To me it seems like there are no advantages to the Derbys over Astras in terms of beginner blades.

Maybe the Derbys last longer...

Astras are much better:sharper and smoother than Derbys.Also I have find that they work well in every DE that I have tried them(SS,adjustables,MerkurHD,E&J) while Derbys dont work relly well with adjustables(at least for me)and Merkur.

Everyone's results seem to be different about different blades, razors, etc. As always YMMV. Nice to hear that the astras work well for you.

Totally agree! I read all the hype here when I started. I shaved with them a few times and always got irritation. They also pulled. I prefered the Merkur blades!

Tried them again after several months. Same. Will not use again. Feathers are better in every way.

I completely agree. Every time I used a derby I could feel it pulling, same as the walmart personnas. Then I tried an Astra and I could feel it just glide across my skin. I'm stocking up on them now!

I realise that it's a case of each to their own and different blades will work better for other people, but there were a few factors that have stuck out in only a few days of shaving with them. I usually do 2x WTG then 1-2 xtg.

I always rinse the sink out between passes to gauge how much hair has been removed each pass, i.e. I look to see how much stubble has lined the sink.

With the Astras after the second WTG pass there would be very little hair in the sink. But with the Derbys there was about the same as the first pass. So it would seem the Astras were accomplishing the same beard reduction in One WTG pass as the Derbys were in 2.

Also the neck irritation is extreme over the last few days, I pulled out my Alum block last night to try and calm it and went to bed with a stinging neck even though I shaved as cafefully as possible.

I might try a 3rd day with the Derbys but I'm throwing them out after that!

basically, you started with one of the best blades,got used to it and then went to one of the middle of the road blades. i would be surprised if you felt your shaves had improved under those circumstances.

it's like going from a 60" pioneer LCD for 3 weeks to a 20" b&W tv and being surprised that the programs don't look the same(in this case).:wink:

marty

basically, you started with one of the best blades,got used to it and then went to one of the middle of the road blades. i would be surprised if you felt your shaves had improved under those circumstances.

it's like going from a 60" pioneer LCD for 3 weeks to a 20" b&W tv and being surprised that the programs don't look the same(in this case).:wink:

marty

This is exactly my point, for a new shaver why would they be recommended an inferior blade to start with. Astra blades are probably cheaper to buy and are better in every categorie!? e.g. Feathers are sharper but you are more likely to cut your self so begineers are steared away from them. But Astras are smooth and basically impossible to cut your self with.

Just some thoughts anyway...

In a slant astras provide one outstanding shave. Must be extra careful as it cuts your face very easily.

Derbys are very inconsistent -- sometimes it provides great shave but at other times the shave is inadequate.

Derbys work better for me than Astras. While the Astra may be marginally sharper the end product of a Derby shave is better than an Astra shave.

I've used both and IMO, they're just about the same with maybe the Astra's winning out by a nose. There are better blades out there.

I'm on my third pack of blades from the West Coast Shaving sampler and must say that I had a great shave this morning using my first Derby blade. My previous two sample blades were Merkurs and Crystals and both irritated my neck. The Derby's cut through my beard like butter with no irritation. I did 3 passes this morning, 2 WTG and 1 XTG. I could never get passed 2 with Merkur or Crystal blades. Also, this morning I began using an oil as a pre-shave that contains almond, peanut, olive and lanolin oils.

Last edited:
It's interesting how different everyone's experiences are. I went through the entire West Cost Sampler pack and Derbys are the only blade that gives me a consistently close, irritation-free shave. I've never tried Astras though... I might have to look some up.

Astras are much better:sharper and smoother than Derbys.Also I have find that they work well in every DE that I have tried them(SS,adjustables,MerkurHD,E&J) while Derbys dont work relly well with adjustables(at least for me)and Merkur.

+1.
Astras are fantastic. I've also noticed that my skin looks much better since I've started using them.

This is exactly my point, for a new shaver why would they be recommended an inferior blade to start with. Astra blades are probably cheaper to buy and are better in every categorie!? e.g. Feathers are sharper but you are more likely to cut your self so begineers are steared away from them. But Astras are smooth and basically impossible to cut your self with.

Just some thoughts anyway...

Derbys normally aren't an inferior blade. For the majority, they tend to work extremely well but again YMMV is the truest statement that can be made. In fact, I think I have found more burn blades in my Derbys than any other. The Derbys are safe, gentle, and get the job done. For someone who is switching from cartridge to a DE, they are a good blade to perfect one's technique on.

marty

Top Bottom