What's new

A new Old Type for me

Yesterday I receive a razor as part of trade. It was acquired off one of the European eBays and all I had to go off from my trade partner was an iffy eBay photo. The razor appeared to be a Standard Single Ring Old Type. Upon opening the package an immediate difference jumped out at me.

It wasn't a Standard but was a pocket edition.

proxy.php

When assembled it had a Standard type appearance except for two other unique features.

proxy.php

There were single grooves around the upper and lower smooth bands.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The cap definitely appears to be a standard #102 type cap and the guard plate clearly identifies it as an American Gillette.

proxy.php

BTW, there is no serial numbering or patent information, so I am wondering if it could be a third party venture like that with American Button Company (ABC).

Anyone else seen one like this?

Oh, and yes, very similar to yours, except for the cap which is definitely a #102 whereas yours is a #102A based upon the rounded corners. Mine has the sharp pointed corners indicative of a #102.

If I may ask a very elementary question, could you explain what you mean by "rounded corners" on the cap, versus "pointed corners"? I don't see the difference, so I must not be looking at the right part of the razor.

If I may ask a very elementary question, could you explain what you mean by "rounded corners" on the cap, versus "pointed corners"? I don't see the difference, so I must not be looking at the right part of the razor.

Okay, I had to get another picture to try to explain this. Compare the two caps. In the first picture the corners of the cap are slightly rounded and the cap is thicker (post August 1921 style #102A). In the second picture you should be able to notice much more squared, sharp corners and a thinner cap (pre August 1921 style #102).

proxy.php

proxy.php

Okay, I had to get another picture to try to explain this. Compare the two caps. In the first picture the corners of the cap are slightly rounded and the cap is thicker (post August 1921 style #102A). In the second picture you should be able to notice much more squared, sharp corners and a thinner cap (pre August 1921 style #102).

Perfect explanation, and the pics make it easy to see the difference. Thanks.

This man has eyes like a hawk. I probably would have missed this one myself.
Very cool Guido. I think it’s high time I make a little road trip down to LA and do some hunting…..:wink:

This man has eyes like a hawk. I probably would have missed this one myself.
Very cool Guido. I think it’s high time I make a little road trip down to LA and do some hunting…..:wink:

Actually, this one came in trade from one of our British members. He owed me his side of a trade and wanted to know if I would be interested in this razor which was listed on one of the European eBays. In the picture it appeared to be a Standard Single Ring. To be honest, until I received it I had no idea of it unique nature.

You just taught me that my cap is actually a #102 and not a #102A, thanks!

Top Bottom