What's new

Menthol Crystals?

If you get some menthol crystals, they will melt around 100-110 degrees F (or something like that), easily within reach of most faucets. What I have done in the past is set the bottle of whatever in water of the correct temperature, let the mixture heat up a bit, then add a crystal or two and let it melt- it may take some time. I shake it energetically until it is cool, hopefully to distribute the menthol- perhaps a blender of some sort would be superior.

They are soluable in alcohol, but obviously you are trying to avoid that, so you may need an emulsifier of some sort- even after they melt, they are supposed to be mostly insoluable in water or glycerine. I can't help with that part- I just shake the container until it is cool, hoping that when the mentol re-crystallizes at room temperature it does so in the smallest possible crystals. Maybe if you add a thickener of some sort after the crystals dissolve and before they re-crystallize (like guar or xantham gum, or a thicker ingredient like aloe juice) it will help keep the crystals in suspension better?

I've never tried it without at least some alcohol in the mix, but menthol crystals are relatively inexpensive and it might be worth a try. If you try this I recommend adding the menthol little by little. Too much can be rather intense and uncomfortable. This is the voice of experience...

I've heard of crystal meth, but not the reverse. :lol:

Just kidding. Where can you buy the menthol crystals?

There are a few sellers on EBay as well. I have used them to mentholate quite a few aftershaves, often by dissolving them in witch hazel.

Yeah, y'all better be careful to not abbreviate or use the term too freely! I'm not sure "crystal menth" -- while a great name for a shaving cream, come to think of it -- looks different enough to not draw unwanted attention to the boards!

If you can't find menthol locally, I can send you some. PM me your address. But you have to promise to post your results :)
Sue

If you're not into melting/shaking to get menthol crystals to melt/dissolve, go down to the corner pharmacy (not a Walgreens or CVS) and buy a bottle of peppermint oil and an eye dropper (if the peppermint oil doesn't already have one). It's basically the same thing. Also eucalyptus oil and camphor also have cooling effects. Just be aware that oil and water don't mix, so unless the ingredients on the toner list polysorbate 20 (an emulsifier), you may have to shake it up before each use.

If you get some menthol crystals, they will melt around 100-110 degrees F (or something like that), easily within reach of most faucets. What I have done in the past is set the bottle of whatever in water of the correct temperature, let the mixture heat up a bit, then add a crystal or two and let it melt- it may take some time. I shake it energetically until it is cool, hopefully to distribute the menthol- perhaps a blender of some sort would be superior.

They are soluable in alcohol, but obviously you are trying to avoid that, so you may need an emulsifier of some sort- even after they melt, they are supposed to be mostly insoluable in water or glycerine. I can't help with that part- I just shake the container until it is cool, hoping that when the mentol re-crystallizes at room temperature it does so in the smallest possible crystals. Maybe if you add a thickener of some sort after the crystals dissolve and before they re-crystallize (like guar or xantham gum, or a thicker ingredient like aloe juice) it will help keep the crystals in suspension better?

I've never tried it without at least some alcohol in the mix, but menthol crystals are relatively inexpensive and it might be worth a try. If you try this I recommend adding the menthol little by little. Too much can be rather intense and uncomfortable. This is the voice of experience...
Sounds like you're setting up your own menth lab....

Top Bottom