What's new

Edwin Jagger DE razors?

Unlike most guys, I never read instructions. Or advertising that comes with stuff I've ordered. So if my wife hadn't shown me the EJ flyer I'd put in the recycling bin, the one that came with my new synthetic shaving brush (which I love to pieces) I wouldn't have known that EJ makes razors too. Does anyone out there own one of their razors? Or have you used one? What do you think? They're very pretty, but they seem to be three-piece. And they're very spendy. And I doubt they do a better job than my trusty '40s SS's.

Last edited:
Unlike most guys, I never read instructions. Or advertising that comes with stuff I've ordered. So if my wife hadn't shown me the EJ flyer I'd put in the recycling bin, the one that came with my new synthetic shaving brush (which I love to pieces) I wouldn't have known that EJ makes razors too. Does anyone out there own one of their razors? Or have you used one? What do you think? They're very pretty, but they seem to be three-piece. And they're very spendy. And I doubt they do a better job than my trusty '40s SS's.

I own a couple of them. A Loxley with a Merkur head, and a Diffusion with a Muhle head. The EJ razors have a nicer finish than the average Merkur and Muhle. The handles tend to be thicker and longer as well. They are nice razors, but probably shave no better than any other razor. I would put their agressiveness on the low to low-medium side. But they sure are beautiful. :001_rolle

Btw, the cost is somewhat less than the price posted on the site. During checkout, VAT is deducted.

The EJ razors are excellent! I absolutely love my Chatsworth and find it gives the closest most comfortable shave out of all my razors.

Excellent razors with better plating than stock Merkurs. Fine balance, great ergonomics.

I prefer the ones with older Merkur heads over those sporting the new EJ/Muhle heads.

I just purchased my first razor, and I got an EJ Diffusion lined chrome handle. This is my first and so far only one that I've ever had or used, but it feels and looks great. Price is quite cheap, at least for this model, and it seems to work great. Also, shipping to Canada was cheap and fast.

If you have a bad RAD go for one of them(the DE89 is great and its really well finished, and made by Muhle) but theyre not as better as the old trusty SS (specially if you have one from the 40s)But Its good to have at least one DE from each maker.If you go for a Parker the 89R is a 3 piece good one and provides a comfortable shave.

I really like the EJ razors. I have one Chatsworth Faux Ivory with a Merkur head and three Georgians with the new EJ/Muhle heads. All are first rate shavers but personally, I like the new heads better. YMMV. At the current exchange rate, these are a nice deal. I may have to try an all metal one next.

if you like the ej razors buy one of the georgians. They are on sale and being discontinued...IMHO they have the best balance

They are wonderful razors. As mentioned, the plating and construction are a bit nicer than what you find on the Merkurs. I found the new head to be too mild for me, so I may end up picking up an old model with the Merkur head instead.

I've got a very cheap DE89 and found it great to use, smooth shaves, easy on the hand.

I find it better than (possibly not a fair comparison) the Merkur I own (a travel, so probably not fair).

And I was started out spit-scared of DEs :biggrin:

Unlike most guys, I never read instructions.

And, what do you mean UNLIKE most guys???

Last edited:
I have a Merkur head Chatsworth.

Nicely balanced and looks georgous. I reckon it is similar to my Progress on a setting of 2.5.

I have an EJ DE89L -it's my favourite, great quality with lovely plating. Not spendy either -well relatively speaking -you can get one for $35-$40 US including shipping. I highly recommend it, plus The English Shaving Company is great to deal with.

Rick,

I own three Edwin Jagger razors: a stunning Chatsworth Barley, a lovely faux ivory, and an unpretentious 89L. As far as I can tell, they all sport Muhle heads. And I love all three razors, which, for me, float somewhere in the gentle to moderately aggressive neighborhood.

Whether they are better than my Merkur 38C "Long Pole," the Merkur 34C, or any other double edge, modern or classic, I'll leave to the experts to determine. If such a determination can made in the first place.

Not only are these razors beautiful, their finish and workmanship are impeccable. Looking at them closely, it's easy to see quality in every way. Yes, they are three-piece razors. Not that I have objections to how many pieces a razor comes in, as long as it's a great razor.

With the Edwin Jaggers, I've had a good shave with almost every different blade. There have been one or two shaves that were a bust, but I blame that on the quality of the razor blade — and I have experienced several battle axes that try to pass as razor blades.

"Beauty is a greater recommendation than any letter of introduction," said Aristotle. I definitely recommend the Edwin Jagger double edge razors. Enjoy. They are pricey, yes, but beauty and quality are sometimes worth the price. My Edwin Jaggers are.

By the way, I own several of their brushes, too, and they are all of the highest quality to my estimation.

Thanks for reading.

Obelit

I guessed EJ would only put out quality products. I have to admit that I am deeply attached to my 40s SS razors, but I could see myself asking Santa for one of the EJs. They really are things of beauty.

Hi. This is my first post. I live 40 miles from Sheffield and have an affinity with this great city. I am currently using a James Neill Eclipse (Sheffield) Red King DE, date unknown, possibly 30s. Last week I ordered an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Lined for a gift - unfortunately when it arrived it had a slight flaw in the handle's chrome - a raised burr, very slight rough raised nub. I contacted the company and explained. I must say, the response was superb. They will send a replacement today with an envelope to return the original. No quibble, and with sincere apologies.
Peter

I just purchased my first razor, and I got an EJ Diffusion lined chrome handle. This is my first and so far only one that I've ever had or used, but it feels and looks great. Price is quite cheap, at least for this model, and it seems to work great. Also, shipping to Canada was cheap and fast.

Where did you order from? englishshavingcompany.com? I'd love to get a Georgian before they are all gone but am wondering who would be best to deal with in terms of price and shipping to or within Canada. My go-to man, Fendrihan.com does not sell the Georgian.

Top Bottom