What's new

Newbie here, with a question

Let me first say this forum has been extremely helpful so far, especially with making a proper lather.

Anyways, I have been wet shaving for about 3 weeks now. It took a little while to get lathering down, same with technique, but both have been coming together very well. I still have one thing standing between me and a great shave though, so let me tell you my ritual:

Warm shower, being sure to keep warm water on my face. Meanwhile, the brush (a Vulfix best badger) soaks in a bowl (from my cupboard) of hot water. When I get out of the shower, I do not dry my face. I empty my bowl and let the brush drip, then rub some more warm water on my face before I make my lather, and again before I apply my lather (I use Proraso or Col. Conk's almond) I shave (with a Vintage DE safety razor with Merkur blades) N-S, S-N, then ATG on my neck and cheeks, and XTG on my chin. I finish with a warm water rinse, followed by cold water, then apply either some Nivea or Aqua Velva (I am considering getting some Proraso Pre/Post cream after hearing so many good things about it).

My beard is thick, especially on my chin, and I cannot go ATG without some trouble, though I would like to. My question is this: is there a way I can go ATG through my thick stubble and avoid irritation and razor burn?

Maybe a different soap or cream, or razor and blade? How about a different pre-shave to help soften the beard even more? I'm still getting into this, so changing up a routine is not only easy, but I think having a flexible routine is a good thing.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would recommend another razor blade. Merkur are ok but no more. Feather should do the trick. Did you try a sample pack? A few blades would help you find which work best for you!

Welcome to B&B! You don't mention what specific razor you're using, but right now I'd focus on two things: 1) Practice/technique. Make sure you're using a light touch, expecially on the more troublesome passes; 2) A blade sampler pack. Those merkurs may well be part of the problem.

Keep us posted!

I would suggest a sampler pack also. Feathers are my choice also but they are not for everyone. As for shaving against the grain, remember that shaving is a process of beard reduction not beard elimination. Try a WTG, two XTG passes in different directions before attempting an ATG pass. Also, map your beard so that you are really shaving WTG when you think you are shaving WTG.

I would also shower first and try some hair softener on your beard for prep.

Welcome to B&B. WestCoast Shaving has some great blade sampler packs. The Feathers are my blade of choice though.

Happy shaving!

I used to have all sorts if problems going ATG on my chin until someone on this site suggested going XTG. I do 2 WTG passes on my chin first( to get rid of most of the tough stuff) then XTG. I have never looked back.

Welcome to B&B.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Welcome to B&B.

Try blade buffing on the chin. I have very tough whiskers and this works for me.

I used to have all sorts if problems going ATG on my chin until someone on this site suggested going XTG. I do 2 WTG passes on my chin first( to get rid of most of the tough stuff) then XTG. I have never looked back.

Welcome to B&B.

I will have to try this and experiment a little bit

I just started and I have the exact same problem with my chin and I'm also using Merkur blades.

So far I have a bunch of different blades on the way, we'll see if they help, but if I find another solution I'll let you know!

Stubble around the chin area is very tough; WTG and XTG passes should be done and ATG only when stubble has been reduced to practically nil. You may not be able to tolerate ATG even at this point. A good protective lather and good blade makes all the difference. Merkur blades have a poor reputation; it's better to ditch them and go with something else.

i recommend to change the blade, merkur make good razors and bad blades, try derby, red pack israeli or feather. feathers are the most fear blades but don't be scared, just respect them and use the good blade angle and everything should be ok... for the adjustable, leave it on 2 for all the learning process, don't involve more variable. BTW welcome to B&B

Simple Shaving Rules:

1. There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, And--every--single--one--of--them--is--right!
  2. Shave directions in increasing aggressiveness
    1. WTG - With the grain, least aggressive of all shaving strokes.
    2. XTG - Across the grain, more aggressive than WTG
    3. ATG - Against the grain, more aggressive than XTG
    4. Ultra aggressive moves - tactical beard reduction in small areas, risky moves with good payoff odds in the right situation
      1. J-hook
      2. Blade Buff
      3. Gillette Slide
  3. Shaving is a process of beard reduction. Trying to get 100% elimination on the first pass is a recipe for nicks, cuts, and razor burn.
  4. Never underestimate the importance of good lather in a shaving experience.
  5. When figuring out how to shave a trouble spot, never change more than one variable at a time.
    1. Change soap, keep razor, blade, and shave plan the same.
    2. Change Razor, keep soap, blade, and shave plan the same.
    3. (the remainder of this table is left to the enterprising grasshopper.)
  6. Learn the grain structure of your beard.
  7. Become one with the razor.
    1. Learn its sounds - this will tell you more than your eyes about the shave.
    2. Learn its moods
    3. Learn its balance - If you can't get used to a razor, after a reasonable period of time, try another razor - PIF or BST will help keep the price of RAD down, and keep the razors from taking over the den.
    4. Learn its feel - your skin will tell you if the razor is working for you or against you.
Item one is the refrain from Rudyard Kipling's In the Neolithic Age. I include it as a reminder to all that shaving is an individual activity. We should make allowance for variations in faces, beard, razors, and blades.

May your next shave leave you looking like Bugs Bunny, not Daffy Duck

Last edited:
Welcome to Badger and Blade. You've gotten plenty of great advice thus far. I won't muddy the waters any further. As you can see, there are plenty of people around here willing to answer questions.

Top Bottom