What's new

starter straight razor opinion

This Cyril Salter razor with faux ebony handle:rolleyes:

That's what I was saying. There's a good chance it's not shave ready unless it is sold as such. It's okay though you can send it to a honemeister to get honed and then you could use it. I'm drawn to it actually. It's nice looking. I have no idea about whether the performance matches the looks though. I'll leave that question unanswered for those who have used it to chime in about.

Get a Wapi (Wapenica). Small enough to be easy to handle with a heavy enough grind to still shave well. They out shave razors costing three times as much. I believe the Invisible Edge currently has them in stock.

I figured I'd check before running my mouth. Still wouldn't buy it

why wouldn't you buy, im only asking as this would be the 1st
staight and id rather spend money on something that will do a job well and I can learn from, rather than waste money on something im gunna struggle with.
thanks for all ya imput its all being taken on board

I figured I'd check before running my mouth. Still wouldn't buy it

why wouldn't you buy, im only asking as this would be the 1st
staight and id rather spend money on something that will do a job well and I can learn from, rather than waste money on something im gunna struggle with.
thanks for all ya imput its all being taken on board

Because as I said earlier, there are much better deals in the classifieds. However, they are more than likely used. So if thats a problem for you, you'd have to buy new. That said, I have not even heard of that manufacturer. I don't know what options you have in the UK, but for $50US, you can get a new Wapi from Ken in the US. For $30 more, you can get a Dovo. I like dovo, they were my first razor. I know Dovo makes good razors, even though sometimes their QC lets stuff fall through the cracks.

http://www.dovorazors.com/stockrazors.html

Last edited:
The way I see it is that if this brand was any good, then the more experienced guys on here would know about these razors.
It's looking so far that nobody is familiar with them so for me that raises a red flag straight away.
I'm pretty new here so I can't offer much in the way of advice, but I'd definitely recommend that for your first razor, you go with something you are certain you will have a positive experience with.

thanks lads, I've shaved de most my life had a break when the kids were born as always worried about them getting hold of a blade, but they are of an age now where they no not to touch. always wanted to try a straight, had a straight shave for my wedding day and it was amazing didn't shave for about 3 days. a little older now and back to de's and getting some great shaves but wanna try something different.
well thanks for all ya help ill let ya all know what I decide soon

Top Bottom