Thread: History of the 3 T's

Default History of the 3 T's

I've been curious about this for awhile but searching the archives hasn't been very successful.

I was just wondering what the history was of the 3 T's and when they came to be.

Geo F Trumpers, Truefitt & Hill, and Taylors of Old Bond Street.

Also, i am mainly curious on their reputations here and across the pond, how they are compared against each other, and which is really considered the royalty of shaving products. Everyone has their favorite and rightfully so but which one is considered the big T in shaving, and why!?

Thanks guys :)

This is a good question. Truefitt and Hill is the oldest having been founded in 1805, TOBS in 1854, and Geo F. Trumper's in 1875 (Yardley of London is actually the oldest English shave product company still in operation today having been founded in the 1700s). Which one is the best is certainly an opinion. Having used all three, I would say Trumper's is the most luxurious, expensive, and decadent (though T&H is pretty expensive too). It seems on B&B that TOBS is considered an entry level, affordable English cream whereas T&H and certainly Trumper are considered highest tier shave gear (I think Castle Forbes is slightly more expensive). Anyway, I hope this helps.

Very cool. Thanks

a bump for any more insight? maybe a move to the Shaving Cream section?

Images

Here's an article about Trumpers.

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/17/tr...ly-barber.html

Another forum actually had a very lively discussion of the 3 Ts (along with DR Harris and Penhaligon's) and their history. In particular, several of the Brits had some very interesting insight as to what particular layer each served among the highly stratified distinctions inherent in pre-war upper class British society.

I seem to recall that some of the general observations were Penhaligon's>>aristocracy; T&H>>wealthy merchants, city bankers etc; Trumpers>>military.
    Last edited by Sam Harmon; 04-28-2009 at 10:54 AM.
    [I]Cops in the Hallway of a Greenwich Village Apartment Building in 1960[/I]

Stoned Beatnik to Don Draper: [I]Man, you can't go out there.[/I]

Don Draper to Stoned Beatnik: [I](putting on Fedora) No, you can't go out there. (Walks out into hallway)[/I]

^very cool. If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me which site so i could try and search for it? if you knew the direct link that would be stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harmon View Post
    Another forum actually had a very lively discussion of the 3 Ts (along with DR Harris and Penhaligon's) and their history. In particular, several of the Brits had some very interesting insight as to what particular layer each served among the highly stratified distinctions inherent in pre-war upper class British society.

I seem to recall that some of the general observations were Penhaligon's>>aristocracy; T&H>>wealthy merchants, city bankers etc; Trumpers>>military.
    Penhaligons and T&H are still holders or Royal Warrants, Trumpers held warrants for many generations but not presently. The other warrant holders of note are D.R.Harris and Floris.

Royal Warrants are issued to select companies providing services to members of the Royal Family, there are presently three warrants (Queen, Phillip, and Charles.)

T&H are hairdressers, perfumers, and purveyors of gentleman's grooming products to Phillip.
    DRH are the chemist to Charles.
    Penhals are manufacturers of toilet requisites to Charles and Phillip.
    Floris are perfumers to Liz and Charles.
    Not only Leo's dad but Sophia and Max's too!