Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Root Beer

Images

Default Root Beer

I'm sitting here on a beautiful afternoon enjoying a craft root beer I just discovered at the store: Jack Black's Dead Red. And I love the little diner up the street in no small part because they make their own root beer right there, and serve it is big frosty glass mugs. So, who else loves a good root beer? Any favorite brands?
    -Luke

Thumbs up RE: post

Sorry....
    Dimetappe
    Robitussin
    ...just doesn't agree with me!

Have Phun though!

Quote Originally Posted by stobes21 View Post
    I'm sitting here on a beautiful afternoon enjoying a craft root beer I just discovered at the store: Jack Black's Dead Red. And I love the little diner up the street in no small part because they make their own root beer right there, and serve it is big frosty glass mugs. So, who else loves a good root beer? Any favorite brands?
    There is nothing like a good root beer.

While growing up, I really loved the root beer at Baskin-Robbins (31 Flavors). I liked it so much that sometimes I would forgo the ice cream for the root beer.

Lately, I've been drinking Dad's (diet). I really wish I could find some Hire's.
    IBC is good too.
    MK-ULTRA

I love a good root beer. We're planning to make our own once we're in the new house actually.

Dad's is definitely a great brand but I find Mug is usually enough to fill my craving.
    Limecat can never die!!! Unless he gets curious.

Two local Microbreweries (Sprecher and Lakefront) make their own Root Beer and I enjoy both. Sprechers has a little bit of honey added and Lakefront adds some maple syrup to theirs.

For you root beer fans, Anthony's Root Beer Barrel website is definitely a place to visit. Reviews and rankings of 400 brands of root beer!! I don't always agree with Anthony but the place is an eye opener.

Recently I've been making sure to try any brand that has cane sugar as a sweetener as opposed to corn syrup, but I'm sorry to find that the boutique brands have tended to too much sweetness, as if they're flaunting their cane sugar ingredient.

Hank's Root Beer has tasted pretty good lately. They have a few dusty four packs under the counter of the neighborhood wine store.
    Ed

Images

Stewart's
    Dr. Brown's
    Boylan's
    Cheers,

Bob

I don't want to be a millionaire, I just want to live like one. - Dean Martin

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-9
    Proud Member of the Eagle Group Buy of 2010
    Soap For Hope is the Key - 2011
    The 3017 Journey - 1/1/2010 to 12/31/2013

Excuse my ignorance (i come from a far away place)but, what exactly is root beer and what does it taste like. Now I know I'm sitting on the Internet so I did a quick Wiki search and it says it's made from sassafras and is really only known in North America. Ok so what does sassafras taste like and is the root beer you guys are talking about have alcohol?

Cheers,

Adam
    Last edited by Milbink; 04-24-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Can't spell
    "I donít believe in good luck, I depend on it"

Quote Originally Posted by Milbink View Post
    Excuse my ignorance (i come from a far away place)but, what exactly is root beer and what does it taste like. Now I know I'm sitting on the Internet so I did a quick Wiki search and it says it's made from sassafras and is really only known in North America. Ok so what does sassafras taste like and is the root beer you guys are talking about have alcohol?

Cheers,

Adam
    There's no alcohol in it. The taste is a tough one (for me) to answer... the taste is kind of creamy with a hint of spice.

Cheers,

Adam
    It taste like tastiness personified.

I'm sure some kind BBer will offer to send you a bottle in exchange for a bottle of something they can't get here.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Robert A. Heinlein

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpotatochip View Post
    There's no alcohol in it. The taste is a tough one (for me) to answer... the taste is kind of creamy with a hint of spice.
    and vanilla (sometimes)

and for my fav: Barq's (do they still make that?) Tho it's super over carbonated, if you catch my drift.
    -- Richard, Czar of Cheddar

Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
    It taste like tastiness personified.

I'm sure some kind BBer will offer to send you a bottle in exchange for a bottle of something they can't get here.
    I've always wanted to try koala juice.

Excuse my ignorance (i come from a far away place)but, what exactly is root beer and what does it taste like....
    It also tastes something like Birch Beer, which I'm guessing is related to the bark of a Birch tree. Does that type of tree grow in Australia?
    Ed

Images

I've always wanted to try koala juice.

ugh. too much menthol.

That's funny, I've been trying to score dingo teeth.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by RichGem View Post
    and vanilla (sometimes)

and for my fav: Barq's (do they still make that?) Tho it's super over carbonated, if you catch my drift.
    Yeah, they still make it. As for super overcarbonated... Yeah, if you're not careful the bubbles will come out your ears.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
    That's funny, I've been trying to score dingo teeth.
    chicken lips anyone?

Thanks Chip, so it tastes like Speick Aftershave Balm

Cheers,

Adam
    "I donít believe in good luck, I depend on it"

Images

Cheers,

Adam
    Root beer was traditionally made from sassafras root, but they have long used chemistry to mimic the taste. Root beer is easy to make if you have home brewed beer or wine - the equipment is the same. It is a dark, cola-looking soft drink or soda but has a slight bite to the taste but is smooth like cream and spices like clove, nutmeg and cinnamon. It is pretty pleasant to drink, especially the good stuff. Most mass produced root beers are a shadow of the real thing, thus this topic.

Thanks Chip, so it tastes like Speick Aftershave Balm

Cheers,

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Root beer was traditionally made from sassafras root, but they have long used chemistry to mimic the taste. Root beer is easy to make if you have home brewed beer or wine - the equipment is the same. It is a dark, cola-looking soft drink or soda but has a slight bite to the taste but is smooth like cream and spices like clove, nutmeg and cinnamon. It is pretty pleasant to drink, especially the good stuff. Most mass produced root beers are a shadow of the real thing, thus this topic.
    That's what I meant to say.